Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2023-11-27 17:37:03

jakob
Admin
Website

"Sorry, could not be submitted" with location plus colon in the body

On a site of mine, a user wrote saying they get a message “Sorry, the form could not be submitted” when trying to save an article. I tried it out and found it was not a general problem. It was being triggered by the word Location: in the text of the article body.

I don’t see this happening on the demo sites, neither 4.8. or the dev version, so it must be something to do with this installation or some interaction with a plugin (of which there are many on this site). Any suggestions for where I should start looking?

The site is running on Textpattern version: 4.9.0-dev (e3f99cc9a521a2a38d5dc9ad4294fe2c) from Jan 2022 and PHP 8.0.30.

weirdly: searching for “location” in the forum likewise causes the forum to bomb [EDIT: well now it works for some reason 🤷. EDIT II: now it doesn’t again. Wha?].

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#2 2023-11-27 23:36:06

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: "Sorry, could not be submitted" with location plus colon in the body

On that client’s site, could it be mod_security at work? Location: could be a trigger (HTTP header). I once had the same when saving a form with com_connect fields (contact form), one was querying some server info, specifically HTTP_USER_AGENT header.

Checking the browser console might tell something (network pane, headers).

I can’t seem to reproduce that fun thing on the forum you mention. [/sad_face]

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2023-11-28 05:51:18

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

As suggested by Philippe, check your console. Don’t know if it’s the same: one of my clients got a kind of same problem (due to a new version of a plugin); I cleared its browser cache, and all worked well.

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#4 2023-11-29 17:49:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Yeah, random form could not be submitted errors are usually an over-zealous mod_security or other server level anti-spam filter that triggers.

Usual fix is to email the host with the content you’re trying to post and they tweak the filters. If you’re the site admin, mail yourself :P

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer