Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2023-05-29 09:13:51

BryanA.

Fading Admin side confirmations

I’m a scatter-brained content creator and “Article Posted” is a great little green notification at the bottom center to ensure my article was indeed posted. But then I change something five minutes later and click Save and since the notification didn’t fade away, I’m less sure that the next click on Save was posting the article changes!

Not a big deal. I could X-out the notification every time. But I edit a lot as I publish/Save. Is there a way I can activate a 15-second fade for that notification?

Voice Actor – starting up a site for that good book stuff.

#2 2023-05-29 09:17:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Fading Admin side confirmations

I’m not sure if there’s a plugin that could help. But you can always hit Escape after you Ctrl-S to save. That silences the message (and in fact toggles it off and on with each press of ESC in case you hit it by mistake before reading the message).

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2023-05-29 09:23:33

BryanA.

Ahhhh – good to know! That will be my process now. Thank you.

Voice Actor – starting up a site for that good book stuff.

#4 2023-12-27 17:30:37

alexm393

Great suggestion! Having admin notifications fade out would provide cleaner confirmation for subsequent edits.

I agree that when publishing a lot of content in one session, the persistent “Article Posted” message can cause doubt on whether your latest changes actually saved or not. A quick fade out after a few seconds would alleviate that uncertainty.

While I don’t know of a way to enable fade out durations in the current Textpattern admin, I did some searching and found a feature request for this. So it’s something others have identified would be useful as well:

https://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=158398#p158398

Adding a simple jQuery fade Out to the .txp-message CSS class could fulfill this need. Possibly something for a plugin developer to tackle!

For now as a workaround, manually closing the message or watching the Last Modified date update on an article details screen could assure your changes were captured. But I agree a configurable fade out would provide much cleaner visual confirmation from the admin interface itself.

Hope this helps explain why the messages persist currently, and some options to track edits with the existing behavior. Definitely submit an enhancement request on the Textpattern GitHub for this – seems like beneficial functionality!

#5 2023-12-27 19:13:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

A fadeout might be fine for brief success messages, but sometimes when things haven’t worked and there are errors or warnings, or very long feedback messages, the persistence is handy.

As mentioned above, a quick tap of the ESCape key dismisses it immediately. And that keystroke toggles the message back on if you hit it by mistake.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer