Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-12-09 11:33:40

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

How do I specify a database server port for the browser installation?

I have a remote database server with a non-standard port, and since there’s no option to explicitly provide the port, I assume I have to provide it in a hostname:port configuration when using the browser setup route. Is that correct?

I know the database accepts connections from the Textpattern server, and there are no firewall restrictions for this testing period while I set things up, so I want to make sure I’m doing the hostname + port dance in the correct way.

Our docs are a bit sketchy about remote servers with off-piste ports, so I’ll update them when the ‘best’ way is decided.

Thank you.

#2 2022-12-09 16:54:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: How do I specify a database server port for the browser installation?

Honestly I’ve never tried it but since the hostname you supply is passed verbatim I expect it’ll work. Assuming we don’t hardcode the port (I don’t think we do)

amoredecosmos has had some experience with this.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2022-12-09 17:06:05

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: How do I specify a database server port for the browser installation?

Bloke wrote #334258:

amoredecosmos has had some experience with this.

Somewhat presciently, that’s why I’m doing it (see here for background). I was curious how DO managed databases work, and since our credit renewed I can now spin up an instance to see how it all connects together. Spoiler: not getting very far at the moment!

Last edited by gaekwad (2022-12-09 17:08:25)

Board footer