Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-11-11 11:14:57

komputist

Firefox keeps logging me out

Actually, this problem relates not to me but to my wife – I am not certain about why. Edit: I have the same problem.

The thing is, when she logs into Textpattern, she almost immediately gets logged out again. There is also a warning that she must permit cookies in her browser.

She gets this message in Firefox, and I think in Safari too. Today she claims that she can only work with Textpattern when using the Yandex browser (which is based omn the Chromium project, I believe). Edit: Actually, it does not work with Yandex either.

Yesterday I spent some time with her copy of Firefox, and looked a the privacy settings. Firefox has upped the ante when it comes to privacy, and it offers choice between several security profiles. At least 3 profiles: Standard, Strong and Adaptive. When she used Standard, she was logged out. Strong gave the same result. While with Adaptive it was possible to adapt (sic!) how Firefox behaved so that she could work with Textpattern.

In case it matters, I installed Textpattern via CPanel – could it be that Cpanel adds some cookies that Firefox reacts to? Or is it Textpattern itself that needs to be adjusted to be able to cope with the tough privacy measures of Firefox (and Safari)?

Last edited by komputist (2022-11-11 11:29:07)

#2 2022-11-11 11:51:09

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Firefox keeps logging me out

I have not problems using Firefox with a Strict Privacy Profile. Or Safari, as it is my default browser.

When you are (forced-) logged out, do you see any error message in the Firefox web developper tools > console? It is possible that the problem originates at the server level.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2022-11-11 11:56:23

komputist

Before I check for error logs in the developer console, might I ask whether you also are not logged out if you use a «fresh» Firefox, where old cookies have not been stored? I ask, because, to begin with – a couple of days ago, when I started to use Texpattern again, I had no problems with Firefox. But today, after I started to tinker with the settings on my own Mac (and not just on the Mac of my wife), deleting cookies and so on, I suddenly was logged out myself.

As of right now, I use the Adaptive profile, where I have completely disabled blocking of cookies. And then I do not get logged out of TXP.

#4 2022-11-11 12:06:51

komputist

So I checked Console log of Firefox. And became overwhelmed of all the messages (if you unfilter them, you get a lot).

By reading the log, I was reminded that – being the kind guy I am – I had enabled Telemetry, meaning that my browser was sending data to Mozilla.

So I disabled Telemetry. And started to using the Strict profile. And as of right now, I do not get logged out.

#5 2022-11-11 13:37:37

jakob
Admin
Website

If your site has an SSL certificate, i.e. supports https:// (with the s), try making sure you’re logging in with https:// and not http://. I sometimes see what you describe when I forget the s…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2022-11-11 17:18:32

uli

Also, the www in the url (or lack thereof) could be a reason. Inkl. htaccess redirects to any of these (http/s and/or www). EDIT: Compare the URL you login to and the one when you’re logged out.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer