Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-08-09 17:28:28

uli

"Delete user" process comes with a weird transfer option

When I delete a user I can transfer his articles to that very user. Is there a use case for that?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#2 2022-08-09 18:36:49

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: "Delete user" process comes with a weird transfer option

uli wrote #333762:

When I delete a user I can transfer his articles to that very user. Is there a use case for that?

when one editor leaves and new one takes over?

…. texted postive

#3 2022-08-09 18:52:25

uli

So maybe “that very user” was plain wrong and so not understandable. What I mean is I can delete user John and transfer his articles to user John, same John.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2022-08-10 10:35:07

jakob
Admin
Website

uli wrote #333764:

So maybe “that very user” was plain wrong and so not understandable. What I mean is I can delete user John and transfer his articles to user John, same John.

I tested it and you’re absolutely right. When you follow it through and choose “Go” it does warn you “You cannot assign assets to a deleted account” and doesn’t delete the user or articles. As such the “bug” is only a cosmetic problem.

I added it as an issue to GitHub all the same.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2022-08-10 14:17:35

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Instead of deleting the user I would strip their privileges. In that way, the history of the site will be kept intact. Just a thought.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2022-08-10 15:07:14

uli

Thanks, Julian, much appreciated!

colak wrote #333768:

Instead of deleting the user I would strip their privileges. In that way, the history of the site will be kept intact. Just a thought.

That surely makes sense for certain cases. In others (users forget their pw and let the admin create new users with similar names) it’d leave chaos. In mine it wasn’t necessary.

#7 2022-08-10 16:24:32

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #333768:

I would think that if the “user” is sacked or no longer wants to be involved that the best options would be A) to assign assets to another user. B) disable privileges for the user i.e. downgrade privileges to none.

One could also additionally edit the DB to change the email associated with “user” so they can no longer reset their password.
So this way the user remains on file and the history of their editorship remains.

Just a thought.

…. texted postive

#8 2022-08-11 11:07:14

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #333768:

Instead of deleting the user I would strip their privileges. In that way, the history of the site will be kept intact.

Consider also there are GDPR (and similar) privacy implications should a person wish to disappear.

Board footer