Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-03-25 15:56:54

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

User roles

User roles have actually been around and unchanged for many years—since the very beginning. Although there are some plugins, that allow us to change the scope of these roles, there is still one thing we can not do: read, but not write and save, in panes that one has no publish rights to. Some projects, might require an openness but not the danger that a writer may (inadvertently) mess with the section templates.

I understand that computer files normally have 3 options (read, write, execute), for 3 user groups (user, group world) that can be combined in 18 different ways to produce the hopefully desired results.

Could we adopt this paradigm for the user groups, to produce a more adaptable, and not so defined combination of rights?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2022-03-25 23:03:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: User roles

Hmmm, are you sure this isn’t possible already? If you take a look in admin_config.php you’ll notice things like:

article (a.k.a. read)
article.edit (a.k.a. write)
article.publish / article.preview (a.k.a. write/execute)
article.delete...

and so on. Basically, any panel name without a dot gives you read access only. But you need edit/delete privs to make changes to it. We pretty much seem to have those combinations you mentioned covered, and then some. We have more granularity (e.g. edit.own, delete.own, etc) and more varied roles than simply user, group, world.

What were you thinking over and above this?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2022-03-26 05:03:35

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi Stef, I was thinking of making these into actual options through an interphase which at the moment, it can only be done via plugins, rather than editing the core files. The framework is there! All that it needs is to be made into a a back-end editable. You already did part of it. Isn’t it time that we should have it in the core?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2022-03-26 06:42:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Ah okay. Maybe. The interface is clunky in smd_um though. It’d need a complete rethink if privs management was made a core feature.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2022-04-04 14:01:50

gu

This is the exact feature that is on my wish list to be included as part of the core! In the mean time, I want to say thank you for the plugin.

<!— space for hope —>

Board footer