Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2022-02-08 09:48:01

Algaris

Re: Latent good trends

phiw13 wrote #332688:

One work around that harassment I use regularly when hitting such a wall is: pressing Cmd + Shift + R to activate Reader mode (in Safari). ) 90% of the time I can then quietly read the full article (Reader mode is an overlay above everything else) without bothering with the nuisance.

I love Safari’s Reader mode and regularly use it when I want to read content where the consent form is too cumbersome to manage. I have noticed that some websites display a blank page when entering Reader mode. I wonder if that’s done deliberately to stop people bypassing their tracking.

Bloke wrote #332683:

Yeah, third party cookies might work as a stop gap for some sites. But others… I hit a site the other day that popped up a cookie consent form with two buttons: accept/decline.

I clicked Decline.

A warning popped up to say that the site and shop might not work as well with cookies disabled.

I clicked OK.

It showed me the cookie consent form again.

I clicked Decline.

It said the site might not work very well if I don’t accept.

I clicked OK (even though it’s not okay).

It showed me the cookie consent form… ad infinitum.

I’ve noticed that on some sites where I have third-party cookies enabled the consent popup reappears on every page I navigate to.

#26 2022-02-08 10:14:38

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Algaris wrote #332691:

I’ve noticed that on some sites where I have third-party cookies enabled the consent popup reappears on every page I navigate to.

Yes, there are some sites that go to some (great) length to prevent Reader Mode. Tracking and ads. All kind of JS manipulation. I am looking at you, SCMP (by no means the worst offender). Note that Chromium based browsers still don’t offer a build in Reader Mode. The great dictatorship of Google bro.

Annoying as hell sometimes, but if or when itis too bad, I just go somewhere else, after purging cookies and so on.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#27 2022-02-08 13:41:19

Algaris

Yeah that really is annoying. I also just hit the back button sometimes when it becomes too much hassle to navigate through all the ads, autoplaying videos, pop overs, and overbearing consent forms.

I wish there was something similar for Safari, but when I have to use a chromium browser I install the Vanilla Cookie plugin. I then setup a whitelist of cookies I want to keep and set all other cookies to be deleted after five minutes.

Last edited by Algaris (2022-02-08 13:43:25)

#28 2022-02-08 21:31:12

jakob
Admin
Website

Algaris wrote #332697:

I wish there was something similar for Safari, but when I have to use a chromium browser I install the Vanilla Cookie plugin. I then setup a whitelist of cookies I want to keep and set all other cookies to be deleted after five minutes.

I haven’t used it but there’s SweetP’s cookie app for Safari. Not free, but I think it does what you describe.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#29 2022-02-09 01:20:12

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Algaris wrote #332697:

I don’t know any direct equivalent to that extension (which I don’t know in fact). The app Jakob suggest comes close, but I find it a bit of a sledgehammer, personally (data for all websites). And a little on the expensive side.

An option is to use the “Clear History” menu option (from the Safari menu). But that can only clear data for the last hour, nothing shorter. And again, it is an all-or-nothing option. You probably can automate it with AppleScript, I think as “Clear History” shows up in the AS dictionary.

#30 2022-02-09 16:45:38

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #332688:

One work around that harassment I use regularly when hitting such a wall is: pressing Cmd + Shift + R to activate Reader mode (in Safari). ) 90% of the time I can then quietly read the full article (Reader mode is an overlay above everything else) without bothering with the nuisance.

I use the Reader feature everywhere I can, just clicking the icon in the address bar of the browser. As noted, it doesn’t always work, especially on big news media sites. It will just put the cookie/paywall notice in Reader view.

I’ve always wondered if using Reader avoids the tracking as well as the visual pollution (I presume so), though I guess the server is still logging the hit/IP if one is not using a VPN.

jakob wrote #332659:

it seems to me, the only good news is that the trade body’s consent request mechanism has been found to be at best deficient and at worst wilfully negligent in its declared function. And that a data protection authority has bared its teeth so that there’s a glimmer of hope for better data protection practices in future.

Well, IAB has to ‘immediately’ delete it’s stored data collected from those pop-ups. That’s something. If they have to do that on the regular, maybe it will lead to something more.

Sure, tracking is money. I don’t expect they’ll try for anything less. That’s where other tools come in, I guess; Reader view, browser plugins, proxie sites… reading newspapers again, buying from local walk-in markets, using the fediverse tools/instances, whatever.

#31 2022-02-09 23:04:24

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #332714:

I’ve always wondered if using Reader avoids the tracking as well as the visual pollution (I presume so), though I guess the server is still logging the hit/IP if one is not using a VPN.

I hate to disappoint you but Reader View does not block any tracking — except possibly those trackers that actually look at your mouse/pointer/finger moves across the page (or clicks/taps).

#32 2022-02-10 06:34:17

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Tor browser has come to my rescue for may sites, such as those offering limited page views/month. When using it, I accept all cookies and don’t worry about them as they clear in a breeze.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#33 2022-02-11 18:05:45

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #332716:

I hate to disappoint you but Reader View does not block any tracking —

So using the reader icon is basically like clicking the ‘Accept all cookies’ button? Great. Maybe that’s why FF Focus doesn’t provide a Reader feature.

I guess I’ll have to purge cookies more often since I rarely close browsers.

#34 2022-02-12 02:11:51

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Possibly yes. If it is a one time only view of a site, there is a possibility that no cookies are set. I wouldn’t bet much on it though – witness the IAB practice in your OP.

Using Firefox, I think? What are your setting for Privacy and Security? If you use “Strict” you already block quite a lot of trackers (esp third party trackers are blocked and cookies can only be “same-domain”, afaict). Without even a Content-blocking extension, I rarely see ads and only very few cookies and the like (local storage etc). I don’t use Firefox all that often though.

#35 2022-02-12 13:42:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #332723:

I guess I’ll have to purge cookies more often since I rarely close browsers.

Deep clean with Onyx: www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Board footer