Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2022-02-02 13:03:57

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Can't load site or Txp admin after update to 4.8.8

Ah drat, I was hoping we could snaffle some content from elsewhere to find out what is needed in your .htaccess file.

It might just be permissions as Pete suggests, so check those. Some hosts are very finicky about what file permissions are required (you can usually get the current permissions info from Filezilla when you navigate to the main folder as it shows you the permissions of each file and directory).

In terms of design, making it responsive is a worthwhile step. And reducing plugins is also a good goal. The great news is that once you get it up and running – and there are plenty of people here who have your back – populating the content is relatively easy. If you’re not completely up to speed with Textile, the smd_textile_bar plugin adds a WYSIWYG toolbar to the Write panel so you can format things in a bit more of a visual manner. It has helped a few clients to get over the Textile road hump.

There are also a host of little tweaks you can make that really streamline the workflow from a content administration viewpoint. Even setting up a few shortcodes can drastically improve things (and smd_textile_bar can insert them into articles for you) so there’s plenty that can be done, depending on how much time you have to devote to running it.

Bottom line, when you’re ready to take the step, it’s not so daunting to audit your content, prune things and streamline the design to suit your ongoing blogging needs. We’re here to guide you. I’ve helped many people take control of their content from monolithic systems such as WordPress, and they now happily manage content themselves, precisely because we focus not only on the design of the site itself, but the information architecture and back-end workflow to simplify the process.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#26 2022-02-02 13:17:12

6sigma
Website

gaekwad wrote #332584:

Check your file permissions on .htaccess if dropping it in causes an explosion. Start with 755 permissions on everything and see how you go.

I used Filezilla to look at the file permissions on the .htaccess file. They are set as follows:
  • owner permissions – read & write
  • group permissions – read
  • public permissions – read
  • numeric value – 644

Are you suggesting that I change the numeric value to 755 for the .htacess file?

Thanks for your assistance.

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#27 2022-02-02 13:22:44

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

6sigma wrote #332590:

Are you suggesting that I change the numeric value to 755 for the .htacess file?

644 should be OK – I’m working on the black & white nature of “if there’s a .htaccess it doesn’t work, and if it’s missing it works but complains about a missing .htaccess” – and many 500 server errors (which is what I gather you have from ^^ up there), so the existence of a blank .htaccess would be worth checking.

If you can get into the Diagnostics with the .htaccess missing, please post your Diagnostics here – there’s an option to hide private info if you’d like, but to be frank we know your domain now and we know you’re running an up-to-date Textpattern (minus the .htaccess, heh) so there’s minimal risk.

I checked your site on the Wayback Machine, late last year there were some errors thrown on the front page:

Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated

…which indicates something was too old. I’m especially interested in your PHP version and plugins…versions of, authors, etc…and we can get that info from your Diagnostics.

#28 2022-02-02 13:25:38

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

gaekwad wrote #332591:

Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated...

This often happens with out-of-date plugins on up-to-date (ish) PHP…I would wager your site is running PHP 7.4 or later and something’s gone astray with one or more old plugins, or they’re just old as dirt.

Last edited by gaekwad (2022-02-02 13:26:08)

#29 2022-02-02 13:32:22

6sigma
Website

gaekwad wrote #332591:

644 should be OK – …

If you can get into the Diagnostics with the .htaccess missing, please post your Diagnostics here – …

…which indicates something was too old. I’m especially interested in your PHP version and plugins…versions of, authors, etc…and we can get that info from your Diagnostics.

My diagnostics (in low detail) show this:

Textpattern version: 4.8.8 (a5969b336c096d872a7ecab9ee25914b)
Last update: 2022-02-02 07:03:37/2022-02-02 06:53:58
Site URL: rodentregatta.com
Admin URL: rodentregatta.com/textpattern
Document root: /usr/home/rodentregatta/public_html/rodentregatta.com
$path_to_site: /usr/home/rodentregatta/public_html/rodentregatta.com
Textpattern path: /usr/home/rodentregatta/public_html/rodentregatta.com/textpattern
Article URL pattern: section_id_title
Production status: live
Temporary directory path: /usr/home/rodentregatta/public_html/rodentregatta.com/textpattern/tmp
PHP version: 7.4.24
GD Graphics Library: bundled (2.1.0 compatible); Supported formats: GIF, JPEG, PNG, WebP.
Intl extension: 7.4.24
Multibyte String extension: 7.4.24
Server time zone: America/Chicago
Server local time: 2022-02-02 07:27:21
Daylight Saving Time enabled?: 
Automatically adjust Daylight Saving Time setting?: 1
Time zone (GMT offset in seconds): America/Chicago (-21600)
MySQL: 5.6.51-log (Source distribution) 
Database server time: 2022-02-02 08:27:21
Database server time offset: 0 s
Database server time zone: SYSTEM
Database session time zone: SYSTEM
Locale: en_US.UTF-8
Site / Admin language: en-us / en-us
Web server: Apache
PHP server API: cgi-fcgi
PHP SSL version: OpenSSL 1.1.1f  31 Mar 2020
RFC 2616 headers: 0
Server OS: Linux 5.4.0-96-generic
Admin-side theme: hive 4.8.8
Active plugins: 
	fla_altstyle_link-0.1 (modified)
	fla_style_switcher-0.2 (modified)
	glx_if-0.6.4 (modified)
	mdm_if_category-0.4
	ob1_if_section-0.2
	rss_linkcat_list-0.1 (modified)
	rss_suparchive-0.15.1
	swf_if_empty-0.31 (modified)
	upm_category_title-0.4.3
	zem_contact-0.6

Pre-flight check: 
------------------------
.htaccess file is missing.
------------------------

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#30 2022-02-02 13:39:02

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Active plugins: 
	fla_altstyle_link-0.1 (modified)
	fla_style_switcher-0.2 (modified)
	glx_if-0.6.4 (modified)
	mdm_if_category-0.4
	ob1_if_section-0.2
	rss_linkcat_list-0.1 (modified)
	rss_suparchive-0.15.1
	swf_if_empty-0.31 (modified)
	upm_category_title-0.4.3
	zem_contact-0.6

Yep, some of these are old, and if they’re modified that tells me there was some kludging to get them working past their intended lifespan. Judging by the errors on the Wayback Machine snapshot, I suspect your server was updated to PHP 7.4 last year sometime and these plugins are too out-of-date.

You could try checking on your hosting control panel to see if an older version of PHP is offered. If it’s pre-7.4 then it won’t be supported by Team PHP any longer, but it would at least give you a chance to get your site up and running in the immediate term. From there, see if each plugin has a newer version – heck this forum for each plugin name, and you’ll typically find a thread for each one (though I haven’t checked each in full). Depending on how you use these, there are a bunch you can just write out since the functionality has been baked-in and they’re surplus.

Stef (Bloke) is your ideal point of contact for a conversation about a site update, he knows what he’s doing, he and I have worked on a bunch of projects and he’s a safe pair of hands…plus it’ll save you heaps of time learning stuff, too.

#31 2022-02-02 13:48:14

6sigma
Website

gaekwad wrote #332594:

Active plugins:...

Yep, some of these are old, and if they’re modified that tells me there was some kludging to get them working past their intended lifespan. Judging by the errors on the Wayback Machine snapshot, I suspect your server was updated to PHP 7.4 last year sometime and these plugins are too out-of-date.

You could try checking on your hosting control panel to see if an older version of PHP is offered. If it’s pre-7.4 then it won’t be supported by Team PHP any longer, but it would at least give you a chance to get your site up and running in the immediate term. From there, see if each plugin has a newer version – heck this forum for each plugin name, and you’ll typically find a thread for each one (though I haven’t checked each in full). Depending on how you use these, there are a bunch you can just write out since the functionality has been baked-in and they’re surplus.

Stef (Bloke) is your ideal point of contact for a conversation about a site update, he knows what he’s doing, he and I have worked on a bunch of projects and he’s a safe pair of hands…plus it’ll save you heaps of time learning stuff, too.

Wow…this is encouraging! (I’ve been at this since 1:30a.m.) Quick background. I didn’t design the site. It has been idle for so long, I’m not concerned about a few days of down time. I’ll check all those plug-ins, but I’m reasonably sure I remember that several (all?) may have been modified by the original designer. I’m inclined to move forward rather than backward with an older version of PHP. I’ll talk with Stef off line and see what I’m up against to get the site in better shape. Lastly, I wouldn’t be surprised if I wind up deleting 2/3 of my old articles/content. I’m simply trying not to lose all of it with my fumbling around. Again, many thanks for the guidance. I’m off to look at plugins!

#32 2022-02-02 13:59:50

6sigma
Website

6sigma wrote #332595:

Wow…this is encouraging! (I’ve been at this since 1:30a.m.) … I’m off to look at plugins!

Hmmm….using the plugins page to look for these, I went 0 for 10. I also find some encouragement in that as well. Perhaps much of the functionality those plugins provided is now either a) not wanted/needed or b) provided natively in Txp.

#33 2022-02-02 14:22:49

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Something to consider if a site redesign is not on the cards immediately – use the included theme to style your site as ‘new’, but with your existing articles. It’s responsive, performant, and is an excellent place to start building from.

And don’t put too much value in the (beta) plugins site as yet, we’re still building that out! Try here: textpattern.org in the first instance.

Out of interest, does a blank .htaccess cause the site to explode?

#34 2022-02-02 14:38:09

6sigma
Website

gaekwad wrote #332597:

Something to consider if a site redesign is not on the cards immediately – use the included theme to style your site as ‘new’, but with your existing articles. It’s responsive, performant, and is an excellent place to start building from.
p.

I like this idea. How would I go about making that happen?

And don’t put too much value in the (beta) plugins site as yet, we’re still building that out! Try here: textpattern.org in the first instance.

Out of interest, does a blank .htaccess cause the site to explode?

A blank .htaccess file is now in place. (See how long it takes me to do things you guys view as quick & easy? :-) ) I don’t think anything changed with that file in place, but I’m not sure how to be sure.

#35 2022-02-02 15:15:46

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

6sigma wrote #332598:

I like this idea. How would I go about making that happen?

Let’s start by seeing if the default four-point-eight theme is installed…if you go to Presentation -> Themes on the admin-side, do you have a line item for four-point-eight?

A blank .htaccess file is now in place. (See how long it takes me to do things you guys view as quick & easy? :-) ) I don’t think anything changed with that file in place, but I’m not sure how to be sure.

Doesn’t matter how long it takes, what matters is progress. If you have a blank file and it’s not choking, that’s a good start. This is the current known-good .htaccess for Textpattern, please try opening the blank file and pasting the contents of this link into it, then saving:

raw.githubusercontent.com/textpattern/textpattern/dev/.htaccess

Does the action of saving the file cause the site to trip up?

#36 2022-02-02 15:31:15

6sigma
Website

gaekwad wrote #332599:

Let’s start by seeing if the default four-point-eight theme is installed…if you go to Presentation -> Themes on the admin-side, do you have a line item for four-point-eight?

Doesn’t matter how long it takes, what matters is progress. If you have a blank file and it’s not choking, that’s a good start. This is the current known-good .htaccess for Textpattern, please try opening the blank file and pasting the contents of this link into it, then saving:

raw.githubusercontent.com/textpattern/textpattern/dev/.htaccess

Does the action of saving the file cause the site to trip up?

Only the default template for 4.7.3 is showing under Presentation.

The contents you suggested for the .htaccess file have been added. I think something changed, though. I can no longer see the site or the admin page.

Let me ask a question that might be at the root of all of this. When I am in Filezilla and want to edit a file, Linux loads LibreOffice & the file I want to edit. I paste the contents into the file & save it. I’m then told that the file is being transferred to the (host) server. Are there any problems with that workflow?

Board footer