Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2022-02-02 09:32:25

6sigma
Website

Can't load site or Txp admin after update to 4.8.8

Rather than bail out to Wordpress, I thought I’d try my hand at updating my old weblog (rodentregatta.com) to the latest Textpattern. Now I cannot access the site or the Textpattern admin page. My other domains at the host are still accessible. Any ideas where to begin trying to “fix” this? Thanks.

(Disclaimer: I’m in over my head. Trying to do all this from a Chromebook with newly installed Linux, Filezilla, a horrible skillset for this kind of stuff and a very weak hosting/Linux know-how.)

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#2 2022-02-02 09:59:17

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Can't load site or Txp admin after update to 4.8.8

Curious. Updating Txp doesn’t usually make a domain completely unresponsive!

Your IP address seems to still be resolving so it’s probably an Apache configuration thing. Can you do the usual checks please:

• Are all files from the 4.8.8 bundle uploaded, including hidden ones like .htaccess in your domain’s root directory?
  • Is there anything in your host’s control panel that might have changed?
  • Is there anything different you can see in the control panel about this domain compared to your others that are working?
  • Did you have to make any specific changes to your original .htaccess file for this host? If so, they’ll need to be recreated in the .htaccess file from the 4.8.8 bundle, so copy those changes from the backup you took prior to upgrade.

This seems to be an issue at a level above the database, so we won’t bother looking there unless we get stuck.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2022-02-02 10:02:35

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Interestingly enough, https://rodentregatta.com/ gives an “unable to connect” error but using the regular (non-secure) http://rodentregatta.com/ returns an error 500. So it definitely smacks of an .htaccess/certificate issue.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#4 2022-02-02 10:17:09

6sigma
Website

Bloke wrote #332564:

Curious. Updating Txp doesn’t usually make a domain completely unresponsive!

Your IP address seems to still be resolving so it’s probably an Apache configuration thing. Can you do the usual checks please:

• Are all files from the 4.8.8 bundle uploaded, including hidden ones like .htaccess in your domain’s root directory?
  • Is there anything in your host’s control panel that might have changed?
  • Is there anything different you can see in the control panel about this domain compared to your others that are working?

This seems to be an issue at a level above the database, so we won’t bother looking there unless we get stuck.

Thanks so much for some suggestions!

I just used filezilla to copy the /textpattern folder to the server again. I also copied index.php & css.php again. There is a long-existing .htaccess file where the index.php & css.php files are located on the server. There is also a .htaccess file in the /textpattern folder.

I have not changed anything else at the host & the domains all look similar at the control panel level & all domains look similar there. After copying all the files to the server again, I still cannot access Txp Admin to finish the update.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#5 2022-02-02 10:22:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Hmmm. Are you able to publicly share the contents of your .htaccess file? The domain is complaining that there’s something wrong with it. Quite why that would happen after upgrading, I’m unsure at present.

If there’s sensitive stuff in that file, feel free to email me the contents and I’ll see if I can figure it out.

Also, are there any error logs on your host that you can trawl through to see if it gives any pointers? Anything at the Apache level might be useful.

#6 2022-02-02 10:22:20

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi

Rename .htacces to .htaccess0 to see if something change!

Can check if there is differences between the new htaccess and the old one ? i remeber that for some hosting we tweek the htaccess to make it work.

Cheers.

#7 2022-02-02 10:22:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

P.S. Which version of Textpattern were you upgrading from?

#8 2022-02-02 10:24:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Dragondz wrote #332568:

Good tip!

#9 2022-02-02 10:25:06

6sigma
Website

Bloke wrote #332567:

Hmmm. Are you able to publicly share the contents of your .htaccess file? The domain is complaining that there’s something wrong with it. Quite why that would happen after upgrading, I’m unsure at present.

Here’s the .htaccess file:

# BEGIN Textpattern
#DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

#Options +FollowSymLinks
#Options -Indexes
#ErrorDocument 403 default

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    #RewriteBase /relative/web/path/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^(.+) - [PT,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico
    RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization}  !^$
    RewriteRule .* - [E=REMOTE_USER:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_mime.c>
    AddType image/svg+xml  svg svgz
    AddEncoding gzip       svgz
</IfModule>
# END Textpattern

Modified for more readability

Last edited by Dragondz (2022-02-02 10:27:24)

#10 2022-02-02 10:29:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Nothing untoward in that file. Looks pretty standard.

Baffling.

#11 2022-02-02 10:31:35

6sigma
Website

Dragondz wrote #332568:

Hi

Can check if there is differences between the new htaccess and the old one ? i remeber that for some hosting we tweek the htaccess to make it work.

Cheers.

Okay. I’ve done this.

#12 2022-02-02 10:42:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

And now it resolves fine. Go figure.

Without .htaccess you won’t have clean URLs, but at least you’ll be able to complete the upgrade.

Then we just need to figure out why that file is killing your server.

Board footer