Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2022-02-02 10:48:05

6sigma
Website

Re: Can't load site or Txp admin after update to 4.8.8

Bloke wrote #332574:

And now it resolves fine. Go figure.

Without .htaccess you won’t have clean URLs, but at least you’ll be able to complete the upgrade.

Then we just need to figure out why that file is killing your server.

Thank you. Sorry to keep troubling you, but I just logged into the Admin side. Diagnostics seem to be fine with the exception of the warning that the .htaccess file is missing.

What should I do next?

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#14 2022-02-02 10:59:39

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

hi

but i cant see the https website ?

Why ?

PS: Have you the old htacess ?

#15 2022-02-02 11:03:25

6sigma
Website

Dragondz wrote #332577:

hi

but i cant see the https website ?

Why ?

I really don’t know enough to answer. The .htaccess file is STILL renamed to .htaccess0. Could that cause the problem? Also, there’s no mention of “https:” in the .htaccess file. (You’d be alarmed if you knew how little of this I know anything about.)

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#16 2022-02-02 11:11:02

6sigma
Website

Dragondz wrote #332577:

hi

PS: Have you the old htacess ?

The only .htaccess file I have is posted above in post #9

Last edited by 6sigma (2022-02-02 12:02:47)

#17 2022-02-02 12:02:46

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi

I was talking about the htaccess before updating you website to see if there was some special rules there.

It s strange that using https://rodentregatta.com/ dont resolve at all and http://rodentregatta.com/ give something, i suspect that s something not related to textpattern.
Cheers

#18 2022-02-02 12:09:18

6sigma
Website

Dragondz wrote #332580:

Hi

I was talking about the htaccess before updating you website to see if there was some special rules there.

It s strange that using https://rodentregatta.com/ dont resolve at all and http://rodentregatta.com/ give something, i suspect that s something not related to textpattern.
Cheers

If the .htaccess file that is there now was put there when I did the update, then I suspect it replaced any .htaccess file that might have been there. My fault for not following rigorous back-up rules. When I find someone to work with on the redesign of the site, I’ll have them focus quickly on this .htaccess business to get that all sorted out.

Again, many thanks for the help.

#19 2022-02-02 12:16:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

If you don’t have the original file, I would nip over to one of your (Textpattern?) sites on the same host and take a look at the contents of the .htaccess file there. If there’s anything host-specific in there, those portions should be copied over to the file on the site you just upgraded.

You can test it by renaming .htaccess0 back to .htaccess and then hard-refreshing the website to see if it works. If not, flick the filename back to the ‘0’ version and try bringing over the next few changes. Repeat the above until it works.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#20 2022-02-02 12:18:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

P.S. If you need someone to help with the redesign, I might know a Bloke ;)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#21 2022-02-02 12:20:37

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Check your file permissions on .htaccess if dropping it in causes an explosion. Start with 755 permissions on everything and see how you go.

#22 2022-02-02 12:24:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

In the absence of a known-good .htaccess, delete what you have, make a new file with nothing in it and 755 file permissions, then see if that throws an error.

#23 2022-02-02 12:25:57

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Ack, permissions. I always forget about those. Good shout.

#24 2022-02-02 12:41:25

6sigma
Website

Bloke wrote #332582:

If you don’t have the original file, I would nip over to one of your (Textpattern?) sites on the same host and take a look at the contents of the .htaccess file there. If there’s anything host-specific in there, those portions should be copied over to the file on the site you just upgraded.

You can test it by renaming .htaccess0 back to .htaccess and then hard-refreshing the website to see if it works. If not, flick the filename back to the ‘0’ version and try bringing over the next few changes. Repeat the above until it works.

I’ve checked the other 3 domain names. They are not Textpattern sites. There are no .htaccess files for any of them.

[My wishes for my weblog all involve simplification:
  • get rid of old plugins
  • make the site responsive
  • delete old, unnecessary articles
  • get rid of the style-switching header & color changer

As displays have increased resolution, the site looks too small on many laptops & large displays. I’m sure fixing those things will take a long time & a big budget.

I had hoped to get it to a point where I could begin to learn this stuff so that I’m not baffled by every suggestion people make. However, I’m realizing that all of this may be out of my reach without taking many, many days to learn hosting, web design, html, css, linux, filezilla, clean URL’s, file permissions, .htaccess and then everything one must know to use Textpattern’s & Textile’s features.

I get to this point every few years & then am reminded of how difficult it is to operate a weblog.]

Board footer