1. Index
  2. » General discussions
  3. » php 8.1

#1 2021-12-07 09:41:56

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

php 8.1

I see that PHP 8.1 is now the default install provided by Homebrew.

Is there any benefit to install that for my local (TXP) testing ?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2021-12-07 10:28:21

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: php 8.1

phiw13 wrote #332104:

The upcoming Textpattern 4.8.8 has support for PHP 8.1.0, any release prior to that will throw errors. We’ve been tracking PHP 8.1 over the recent months, and we’re confident we’ve caught everything. There’s a beta release of Textpattern 4.8.8 coming soon, given how much has changes between patch releases it felt appropriate. Whether or not this beta-then-GA approach is applied to every release we do…well, who knows.

#3 2021-12-07 10:53:47

jakob
Admin
Website

phiw13 wrote #332104:

I see that PHP 8.1 is now the default install provided by Homebrew.

Yes, it became the default install path last week. As I’m sure you know, you can if you wish …

brew install php@8.0

…so that you can switch back to 8.0 as needed. On a test site of mine running the current dev, Textpattern seems happy with 8.1 but some plugins don’t and produce multiple errors. Some of those Pete has already posted as GitHub issues. Being able to switch back to 8.0 gives you both options.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2021-12-07 11:43:47

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #332110:

On a test site of mine running the current dev, Textpattern seems happy with 8.1 but some plugins don’t and produce multiple errors.

Yes plugins is my main worry ATM. I am fully aware that Textpattern 4.8.8 run fine in that environment. Any hint at broken plugins?
(and I have no idea how quickly my hosts will offer PHP 8.1).

And yes I know about installing PHP 8.0 in parallel, something I certainly will do, in case things go pear-shaped.

gaekwad wrote #332106:

Whether or not this beta-then-GA approach is applied to every release we do…well, who knows.

What on earth is a GA here ? It can’t be General Assembly…

#5 2021-12-07 13:02:05

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #332113:

What on earth is a GA here ? It can’t be General Assembly…

You’re almost there – General Availability

(Sorry for being a bit obtuse, I was in a rush.)

Edit: I suppose it could be argued we do RTW since we don’t press any media…but I’m just copying what other vendors do.

Last edited by gaekwad (2021-12-07 13:03:21)

#6 2021-12-08 07:10:18

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

OK, I upgraded to PHP 8.1 locally. Loading the admin side of a Textpattern test site with 4.8.4-latest from GH; this did not blow up the computer or worse (I think, anybody around to read this? :-)). Everything tested while running in debug mode.

Noted in the PHP configuration — from Diagnostics:

PHP version: 8.1.0
GD Graphics Library: 2.3.3; Supported formats: GIF, JPEG, PNG, WebP, AVIF.

On the admin side —so far— I only have one (1) error. Click on the logout button (TR) triggers, after the “Are you sure?” browser dialog, a second browser dialog: “internal error”. Clicking Close or Ok brings one to the expected logout pane textpattern/index.php?logout=1&lang (screen shot). Everything lightly tested so far: upload an image, saving an article, saving a form, toggling and saving preferences appear to work.

On the public side, on this test install, com_connect is not happy – one tag error, repeated for every com_connect tag inserted. Submitting the form works, but no idea what is the result, localhost is not configured to tes that. smd_thumbnails appears to work (public side and admin side), apart from the fact it (probably) does not know yet about the AVIF format (easy patch IIRC).

Other plugins (few installed) seem to work OK.

Amusing tidbit: 99.5% of the diff between the 8.1 and 8.0 php.ini:
the many urls to php.net docs are now specified as https.

TXP4.9-dev is another story…

Last edited by phiw13 (2021-12-08 07:13:48)

#7 2021-12-08 08:52:42

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #332122:

Click on the logout button (TR) triggers, after the “Are you sure?” browser dialog, a second browser dialog: “internal error”.

Rats. Thanks for testing. Are you able to repeat that with debugging mode turned on please? It might give more clues where this is falling over.

On the public side, on this test install, com_connect is not happy – one tag error, repeated for every com_connect tag inserted.

Ditto for this please. If you could let me know the tag error/trace I’ll hunt it down. Thank you.

smd_thumbnails appears to work (public side and admin side), apart from the fact it (probably) does not know yet about the AVIF format (easy patch IIRC).

Will patch, unless you happen to have a pull request nearby.

TXP4.9-dev is another story…

In terms of PHP 8.x, it’s keeping step with 4.8.8 so at least that side of things should be relatively clear.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2021-12-08 09:12:44

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #332123:

As noted, all tests performed with debugging on

( logout action / internal error)

Rats. Thanks for testing. Are you able to repeat that with debugging mode turned on please? It might give more clues where this is falling over.

No nothing no debug spew that I can see. Just a whole grey page with that (browser) alert (Safari and Firefox).

(com_connect issue)

Ditto for this please. If you could let me know the tag error/trace I’ll hunt it down. Thank you.

Will file an issue on the GH page with the whole debug babble.

In terms of PHP 8.x, it’s keeping step with 4.8.8 so at least that side of things should be relatively clear.

Yeah, I didn’t really look at 4.9-dev, I just logged there to copy a code snippet.

#9 2021-12-08 09:18:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Sorry, missed that you were already running in debug mode. Frustrating that it gives no more info than ‘internal error’. Anything in the console output we can get our hands on?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#10 2021-12-08 09:25:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #332126:

Frustrating that it gives no more info than ‘internal error’. Anything in the console output we can get our hands on?

Nope – silence :-(

OK, these warnings from Firefox, but I have seen that for a long time (4.8.7 – PHP 8.0 at least):

Cookie “txp_login” has been rejected because it is already expired.
Cookie “txp_login_public” has been rejected because it is already expired.

For com_connect: github.com/textpattern/com_connect/issues/78

#11 2021-12-08 09:33:23

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thanks for checking.

The Internal error is repeatable on the demo server: only in debugging, not testing mode.

#12 2021-12-08 21:15:42

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #332122:

Noted in the PHP configuration — from Diagnostics:

GD Graphics Library: 2.3.3; Supported formats: GIF, JPEG, PNG, WebP, AVIF.

Amazing. Are you able to upload avif images?

1. Index
  2. » General discussions
  3. » php 8.1

Board footer