Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-10-01 17:57:53

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Anatomy of a XML-RPC update check for Ye Olde Textpattern

Some years ago, Textpattern used rpc.textpattern.com for update checks. That is to say, a Textpattern site would periodically check for updates via the Diagnostics panel. It would contact rpc.textpattern.com to compare version numbers, and indicate on the Diagnostics panel if an update was available.

I am investigating how busy the legacy rpc.textpattern.com is in real terms. To do this, it would be useful to know how the old method of XML-RPC polling worked: I’m guessing an HTTP POST request to an endpoint on rpc.textpattern.com…my gut feeling says it should probably be to /xml-rpc/ or similar…but I’m needing a little help on the specifics.

Do any veterans know the specifics, and could you please spill the beans? Thanks very much!

#2 2021-10-01 18:42:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Anatomy of a XML-RPC update check for Ye Olde Textpattern

I’d have to delve into the codebase of something in the 4.5.x or before era to know for sure but yes:

1. it hit http://rpc.textpattern.com at the root.
  2. that tunnelled a query via POST / HTTP/1.0.
  3. that queried a custom table where we kept (still keep?) the version info passing in a chunk of XML like this:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<methodCall>
<methodName>tups.getTXPVersion</methodName>
<params>
<param><value>
<string>{blog_uid}</string>
</value></param>
</params>
</methodCall>

Where the blog_uid is taken from the client’s Txp database and passed along. No idea why it needed that.

That returned the highest value entire version history in that table and things went from there. EDIT: The client then iterated through the result set and chose the highest value.

Does that help at all?

Last edited by Bloke (2021-10-01 18:48:49)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2021-10-01 18:45:35

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Anatomy of a XML-RPC update check for Ye Olde Textpattern

Thanks, Bloke – just the ticket!

Board footer