Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-10-01 08:44:57

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Oddities in other content management systems

Is it just me, or is the lack of a core ‘duplicate post’ in Wordpress a bit of an oversight?

It runs 40% or so of the web…and you need a plugin to duplicate a post / article.

I’m not bashing Wordpress (not here, anyway…), I’m genuinely curious what the motives are with this. Maybe I’m just spoiled with Textpattern’s duplicate post workflow.

#2 2021-10-01 09:28:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Oddities in other content management systems

Never really looked as I’ve always thought it was there. But maybe it’s theme specific and the WP installs I’ve used happen to have all had that feature.

If it is omitted from the stock install, maybe it’s a psychological thing that if you clone an article you’re somehow not coming up with original thought? *shrug* But with the prevalence of WP ‘themes’ that effectively hard-code the presentation into each element (thus making it annoying if you want to tweak a value site-wide later), cloning is pretty much essential or you have to go through the article and set up the styles each time you create a new one.

Shopify has a duplicate article feature in its Blog Post area. I used it yesterday.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2021-10-01 14:37:49

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #331690:

Is it just me, or is the lack of a core ‘duplicate post’ in Wordpress a bit of an oversight?

I installed Yoast Duplicate Post on my brother’s site. It worked well the one time I have needed it so far.

But I was surprised as well that it required a plugin.

#4 2021-10-01 14:50:33

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

I’m surprised txp still requires a plugin for simple lists operations.

#5 2021-10-01 16:48:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #331693:

A baked-in generic iterator has been on my wish list for a while – now we have escape and some of the other global attributes it’s even more attractive. But it does seem kind of superficial given that Txp is primarily for iterating over content in the database not iterating over ‘other stuff’.

rah_repeat is a great plugin. smd_each was an old attempt of mine and it’s (frankly) awful. I’ve not tried adi_list.

If there was some way of making a basic iterator tag that could take the best bits of the above plugins to allow people to split stuff up and loop over it, it’d be mighty handy for handling multi-select forms and building filtered content from them.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2021-10-01 17:53:45

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

etc wrote #331693:

I’m quite the rabble rouser, this week…

#7 2021-10-04 15:29:10

Algaris

I remember when Textpattern didn’t have the ability to duplicate an article without a plugin. I was overjoyed when it was added to the core.

Board footer