Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-06-07 16:03:46

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Firefox scroll bounce - a bit violent?

Just restarted FF (Mac) and it downloaded v89.0 whereby it told me to pick a UI theme. The default theme that mirrors the OS seems to have removed the distinction between the tab boundaries for some reason, which is most weird to get used to. Anyway…

Is it just me or has the ‘bounce’ animation when you scroll to the top/bottom of a page (sometimes to effect a content refresh) changed? It seems underdamped now and does a huge, almost quarter-page bounce before gradually settling. It makes me queasy, so it must be hellish on people who prefer reduced motion (unless when you switch that on at the OS level, the animation goes away entirely – in which case I might do that on my settings by default because this is doing my head in).

EDIT: Ahhhh, it turns the bounce off entirely. Yay, my eyes!

Last edited by Bloke (2021-06-07 16:06:44)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2021-06-07 23:05:06

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Firefox scroll bounce - a bit violent?

I don’t see any bounce at all – I have the OS set to prefer reduced motion though. If I toggle the OS setting, there is a bounce but nowhere as pronounced as you describe. It feel a bit rough perhaps (testing with textpattern.com front page).

The new look toolbar and some pop-over things look rather poor :-( No fan of that design at all.

On the other hand – totally great news – the context menus are now native on macOS. Victory! 15years waiting…

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2021-06-08 08:04:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Firefox scroll bounce - a bit violent?

phiw13 wrote #330400:

If I toggle the OS setting, there is a bounce but nowhere as pronounced as you describe. It feel a bit rough perhaps (testing with textpattern.com front page).

Yeah, that’s what I meant, it’s rough and OTT to me. Maybe I’ll get used to it.

If I scroll back on short-form content it’s not so bad, but if I do a big indiscriminate swipe up from a short way down a longish doc, a bigass black area at the top of the screen appears (okay, maybe it takes up a fifth not a quarter of the vertical space) and then settles.

But anyway, as you say, I’ve set prefers reduced motion in macOS and it’s much nicer. Also has the benefit of a fade effect instead of animation when side-swiping from desktop to desktop with the three-finger gesture.

The new look toolbar and some pop-over things look rather poor :-( No fan of that design at all.

Me neither. Again, maybe I’ll get used to it. Maybe.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer