Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-05-08 14:00:06

Destry
Website

Sane remote conferencing options

I had not heard of Jami before, which has been around a while, apparently, but it seems like a good option in today’s world of living/working from a closet without sacrificing the soul.

Another one, out of Montreal, much newer, is Crewdle. As this article (in French) explains, Crewdle is built contentiously with conservation in mind, in addition to privacy, so I especially like where they are coming from.

Part of that conservation effort, besides relying on lighter/distributed infrastructure, hopes to come by displacing the more energy-sucking competitors. Translated from the article:

‘Our positioning is simple: to displace providers such as Zoom, Cisco and GotoMeeting from the IT services market for SMEs and the self-employed.’

Of course, these alternatives, like most tech, requires all collaborators using it, which is usually the tough sell.

Last edited by Destry (2021-05-08 14:58:13)

#2 2021-05-10 07:02:56

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Sane remote conferencing options

One that I use a lot and used by universities is Big Blue Button
And with a very good note regarding energy consumption : https://greenspector.com/en/which-video-conferencing-mobile-application-to-reduce-your-impact-2021/

#3 2021-05-10 07:36:14

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Sane remote conferencing options

I really got into meet.jit.si/ in the past few years. I had a couple of meetings with BBB installed on friends’ servers.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer