Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2021-01-05 07:50:24

Destry
Website

Textile bundle/theme for TextMate

Has anyone ever created a Textile bundle for the ‘Mate? I guess bundle is the right word. It’s still the app I use (nearly as long as I’ve used Txp), as I don’t really need a code editor for much but CSS and the occasional HTML.

However, I would use TextMate a lot more for drafting Txp articles—instead of iA Writer (markdown only)—if I could create a Textile bundle that looks and behaves a lot like iA Writer for article drafts. That kind of usable words editor for Textile users is seriously missing in the market.

Anyway, if there was something I could piggy-back on, I might start there.

To be clear, I’m not trying to create a colorful theme for code. I want a grayscale UI that keeps regular text prominent, downplays (grays-out) Textile syntax, and treats Textiled elements visually as marked up (e.g. if I apply emphasis, the word is italicized, etc).

Can I even do that kind of thing in a bundle?

Last edited by Destry (2021-01-05 07:56:57)

#2 2021-01-05 08:33:15

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Textile bundle/theme for TextMate

It’s been a while since I last used Textmate but there’s this tmbundle for textile syntax highlighting in Textmate and I guess you could then create/adapt a theme (plenty here to try) to get the styling look you want. It’s from 2010 so I don’t know whether it still works but Textmate hasn’t changed much over the years and textile only slightly.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2021-01-05 08:38:37

Destry
Website

That looks like a good place to start. Thank you.

#4 2021-01-05 09:41:54

Destry
Website

I guess I forgot there was a packaged .textile bundle in TextMate already. It’s not exactly the look I want, but probably a better place to start fiddling.

And TextMate’s bundle docs totally suck.

= = = = =

Now realizing the ‘packaged .textile bundle in TextMate’ is sourced from the one Jacob pointed out.

Last edited by Destry (2021-01-05 10:01:24)

#5 2021-01-05 09:52:24

Destry
Website

I see CMS bundles in the TextMate bundles list in preferences, so now I’m thinking a Textpattern bundle is in order for Txp templates and tags, and get that submitted.

Last edited by Destry (2021-01-05 09:52:53)

#6 2021-01-05 10:30:52

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #328032:

I see CMS bundles in the TextMate bundles list in preferences, so now I’m thinking a Textpattern bundle is in order for Txp templates and tags, and get that submitted.

Many moons ago, there was one. Marios made it: See textpattern.org and this thread and this lengthy archive.org article.

Marios resurfaced late last year so he – or someone else here – may still have it somewhere. In fact he asked about a similar topic and reports that his bundle doesn’t work in Textmate2.

#7 2021-01-05 11:50:03

Destry
Website

Not sure why it wouldn’t work in TM2. The Textile bundle you pointed to is ancient and abandoned, apparently, and it still works.

In any case, my immediate aim is a Textile editor, and on that I have some questions for Mario or anyone else.

Destry wrote #328031:

Now realizing the ‘packaged .textile bundle in TextMate’ is sourced from the one Jacob pointed out.

I’m out on a limb, I know, but let’s say I wanted to create a new Textile bundle along the lines of iA Writer (if not exactly).

I should probably fork the tmTextile bundle repo?

How do I change formatting for a given Textile thing? For example, the Textile bundle currently available in TextMate (= to the one Jacob pointed out) makes bq. text italic, which I don’t want. Looking at the source code, where would I change that? There’s a Snippets directory that has an obvious block quotes file in it, but I don’t see anything there that controls italic.

Should I be reading up on how plists work?

Last edited by Destry (2021-01-05 11:51:12)

#8 2021-01-05 12:10:01

jakob
Admin
Website

My guess is that the textile and textpattern bundles are mostly concerned with defining syntax patterns to recognize in the code, and that a theme then governs how they look. So to get an iA-type look you also need to use / alter a theme.

BTW: just in case you don’t already know, the fonts that iAWriter uses are available here. I still preferred the Nitti / Nitti Grotesk combo they used to use, but it’s not free. The new ones are based on IBMPlex (incidentally by some of the same type designers) and iA has documented their evolution on their site.

#9 2021-01-05 12:18:37

Destry
Website

That would make sense, but when I go to Preferences > Themes, I get a similar looking list as in Preferences > Bundles, and there is a Textile item, and when I click it, it takes me to the same textile.tmbundle repository.

Scratch that, I was looking at Preferences > Bundles > Themes, which still goes to the same bundle repo. But is that really different?

So I’m still wondering where the styles to Oz are located.

Last edited by Destry (2021-01-05 12:21:23)

#10 2021-01-05 12:24:30

Destry
Website

Apparently the Bundles editor has been removed in TextMate 2, which is probably where these things were tweaked once upon a time.

Board footer