Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-11-07 00:23:15

saccade
Plugin Author

Localised "smart" quotes in Title too

As far as I see at the moment, textpattern does work “differently” when handling quotes: In my normal text there are the quotes which are defined in my language’s settig. But the Title – albeit also should be textiled (i use the ecape=“textile”) – does not.

How can I get titles which are textiled nd correctly quoted too?

EDIT: You can see it even here – that’s why I set some weird quotes

Last edited by saccade (2020-11-07 00:25:53)

#2 2020-11-07 08:34:58

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Localised "smart" quotes in Title too

Hi Michael,

Does this work for you?

<txp:title escape="textile" />

And if you’re using an older version of Textpattern that doesn’t support the new(er) escape attribute, you can use smd_wrap and do:

<txp:smd_wrap transform="textile"><txp:title /></txp:smd_wrap>

EDIT: Sorry, didn’t see your later addition with the escape attribute (it only refreshed now on posting). I guess you mean, is the textile that is applied with the escape attribute different to the regular textile? Just one idea: does this different behaviour happen with a brand new article, or might the textiled text have been made with an older article created with an earlier version of txp?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2020-11-07 10:41:20

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

AFAIR, quote symbols are pulled from language strings. Body and Excerpt are textiled admin-side in the language of the logged-in user (normally the author). Title is textiled (via escape) public-side, which can use a different language.

#4 2020-11-13 11:06:42

saccade
Plugin Author

Hi,
thanks, but in my install escape=“textile” doesn’t have any effect on the title-quotes. They stay as they are (and my install is set to german).
The textiled text has been made with 4.8.2, so there shouldn’t be any difference.
I created a short test article which exactly the same content in title and body and this article clearly shows: It’s working well in the body, but it doesn’t in the title.

And thanks for the hint to the language of the public side … but this is also “de”, the admin-language-tab lists de for both, admin and public.
I just can imagine there might be any hidden textpattern-public-language-code which I cannot see at the moment?
Or maybe … I remember some issues with de vs. de-de?

#5 2020-11-13 11:40:12

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Weird, it works fine for me, whatever language. In German I get Test „quotes“ with <txp:title escape="textile" />. Are you sure to use the right page/form?

#6 2020-11-13 21:48:23

GugUser

This suggestion from jakob works for me, Textpattern 4.8.3.

I like these quotation marks in German (Switzerland), it also works in <txp:title escape="textile, p" />:

#@language de-de
txt_quote_single_open => ‹
txt_quote_single_close => ›
txt_quote_double_open => «
txt_quote_double_close => »

Board footer