Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-07-05 15:30:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Livestream sessions - Textpattern, web dev, admin tours

I’m scoping out demand or interest for self-hosted, streaming live coding / how-to sessions and site tours. I’d appreciate your input.

From a technical standpoint, one person would schedule a session where they share the subject matter ahead of time, whether it’s a Textpattern how-to, perhaps some tag sorcery, theme development specifics, anything that’s connected to Textpattern. Perhaps you have an established site using some neat tricks behind the scenes – it doesn’t have to be limited to actual live coding.

One person broadcasts (uploads), everyone else watches (downloads) in a media player of choice, and we can have some sort of backchannel comms for Q&A. We can store the streams for the community to refer to, perhaps turn into docs or knowledgebase articles, this all depends on the presenter’s wishes.

Without obligation, is this of any interest to you? If so, would you be a viewer or a broadcaster, or both?

Thank you.

Edit: clarification of subjects.

Last edited by gaekwad (2020-07-06 09:25:44)

#2 2020-07-06 07:05:42

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Livestream sessions - Textpattern, web dev, admin tours

I’ll get the ball rolling: That sounds like a fun idea. I almost always learn most from seeing how other people do things in ingenious ways, or getting feedback on how one could do things more simply or better.

I could imagine being both viewer and (very occasional) broadcaster. For myself, the bigger problem is finding the time for the many great initiatives afoot, but that’s not something you can solve!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2020-07-06 07:31:53

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote #324300:

I almost always learn most from seeing how other people do things in ingenious ways, or getting feedback on how one could do things more simply or better.

Exactly this! You read my mind!

#4 2020-07-06 07:40:43

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

It sounds interesting and it may expand our user base. I’m for it more as a viewer as I do not consider myself to be an excellent coder. I love the idea of the backchannel for interactivity.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2020-07-06 07:47:46

jakob
Admin
Website

gaekwad wrote #324302:

Exactly this! You read my mind!

:-) … and the other way I learn is from mistakes.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2020-07-06 07:53:19

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi,

Good idea, but it should be enough viewers to make sense!

Cheers.

#7 2020-07-06 08:21:30

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

colak wrote #324303:

It sounds interesting and it may expand our user base. I’m for it more as a viewer as I do not consider myself to be an excellent coder. I love the idea of the backchannel for interactivity.

It could also extend to non-code things: architecture of how a Textpattern site is constructed and maintained, some interesting hacks that make clever stuff work, that sort of thing. I remember seeing a YT video some time ago of a behind the scenes (admin) tour of a very old Textpattern site, and there were things I learned because I’d never considered certain approaches until I’d seen it done elsewhere.

#8 2020-07-06 09:18:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #324303:

I’m for it more as a viewer as I do not consider myself to be an excellent coder.

As Pete says, I don’t see this as just about coding. Any tips, tricks, things you do, plugins you use and how it helps your workflow or your clients. Ways you use shortcodes or forms or your page layout flow. Heck, if there was enough time in the universe, you could talk us through your behemoth .htaccess file :D

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2020-07-06 10:48:28

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote #324309:

As Pete says, I don’t see this as just about coding. Any tips, tricks, things you do, plugins you use and how it helps your workflow or your clients. Ways you use shortcodes or forms or your page layout flow. Heck, if there was enough time in the universe, you could talk us through your behemoth .htaccess file :D

I’m slowly preparing a shortcode with a GDPR complient consent which would allow users to embed videos from youtube, vimeo, the Internet Archive, dailymotion and I am still investigating other video hosting sites. Maybe it would be of use to the community.

As you said, there isn’t enough time to expand on the htaccess file:)

I’ll need about a month to complete and test the shortcode as I am working on converging deadlines for other projects.

Yiannis
——————————

#10 2020-07-06 11:59:06

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

If anyone has any aspirations to be the Ninja of Programming, Twitch has a Coding Section. And there is also Education Ecosystem

#11 2020-07-06 12:05:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #324311:

I’m slowly preparing a shortcode with a GDPR complient consent which would allow users to embed videos

Yes! That’d be insanely helpful to demonstrate, thank you.

I’m also thinking that I could learn a thing or three if someone walked me through how to do a fairly unobtrusive yet comprehensive cookie consent bar. Those ones that refuse interaction at all with the site – can’t even scroll – until I’ve answered, bug the hell out of me. I’ll usually just go and find another source instead of wasting time checking 90 boxes and opting out of the dark UX patterns (click the tiny ‘Manage Choices’ link, click the tiny ‘Manage consent’ link, select stuff only to be faced with two buttons: ‘Go back’ (where?!) or ‘Accept all’… like, I don’t want to accept all, I’ve just opted out of them all, but clicking Go Back takes me to the manage choices page and doesn’t save anything… grrr).

Anyway, yeah, lots of things would be very helpful to learn from people who have gone through the site design process and optimised/innovated around it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#12 2020-08-01 07:04:56

colak
Admin

Here’s a request for this thread:) Can one person volunteer to do a livestream session explaining the previewing of how themes work? As Stef mentioned elsewhere, this is fairly unique to txp and it would be good to have some video documentation and hands on simple walk-through about this process.

Also

Bloke wrote #324314:

I’m also thinking that I could learn a thing or three if someone walked me through how to do a fairly unobtrusive yet comprehensive cookie consent bar. Those ones that refuse interaction at all with the site – can’t even scroll – until I’ve answered, bug the hell out of me.

Check here, which refers to this one which appears on all NeMe pages.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer