Textpattern CMS support forum
I’m wondering if any of you had any experience hosting content with the internet archive. More specifically we are considering of migrating all our videos there and embed them in our site but I do not know anybody else who did it. They offer embed instructions and I’m sure that uploading will be straight forward, so the issue is more ideological rather than technical.
- From: People's Republic of Cornwall
- Registered: 2005-11-19
- Posts: 3,077
Re: Internet archive
gaekwad wrote #324104:
I have some old podcast audio hosted (archived) there, it was easy enough – upload it, tag with metadata, done. What’s the idealogical issue you’re encountering?
Although the support staff on Vimeo are very polite and quick to respond, the company is a subsidiary of IAC which has a number of issues against it, including privacy.
The kind of work we are engaged with, raises questions regarding the ethics of our technologies and the issue was put forward that we should not just preach, but practice what we preach.
I know that most of the institutions we have collaborated with, share our views but at the same time upload their videos on both youtube and vimeo in order to achieve maximum exposure.
Personally, I like the idea of the Internet Archive, and I would rather give the subscription we pay to them as a donation. The problem (beyond the recent news) is that of visibility. Searching for videos in search engines seldom returns any of the content hosted there. In fact, most search engines just return videos hosted in YouTube.
- Advantages of Internet archive: Creative Commons, No trackers, no cookies.
- Disadvantages: Speed, sustainability, visibility
- Advantages of Vimeo: Support, quality, no AI generated notices, responsiveness (even after being served an DMCA notice… incorrectly)
- Disadvantages: Subscription based, trackers, questionable ethical practices from the parent company.
- Advantages of YouTube: Reliability, Free, Exposure.
- Disadvantages: Where do I start?
Using video hosts is a balancing act which I have no idea how to approach. A possibility is to host them on all three platforms and just embed the Internet archive videos in our site without worrying about cookie notices. The disadvantage for that is the trebling of the work and the ecological footprint of the uploads.