Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2020-05-26 08:52:12

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: What Texteditor do you use for TXP-Tags?

philwareham wrote #323276:

I’ve tried most of the available text editors for Mac. I do use BBEdit when I want to make a quick edit as it’s so fast.

Oh, I’ve tried most of them as well and always go back to the editor “that still doesn’t suck”™ (aka BBEdit).
I’ll have a look at Nova once it is released. Not holding my breath though… Hopefully they’ve seriously toned down the garrish eye candy UI that makes Transmit so depressing to use.

Sublime Text would still be my second choice, along with SubEthaEdit

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?

#12 2020-05-26 08:59:02

jakob
Admin
Website

philwareham wrote #323276:

Panic Coda for me, until their Nova replacement releases. Nova is looking great.

Thanks for the pointer. Not heard of that one.

h6. phiw13 wrote #323278:

I’ll have a look at Nova once it is released. Not holding my breath though… Hopefully they’ve seriously toned down the garrish eye candy UI that makes Transmit so depressing to use.

Hehe, funny you should mention that. Personally I find Transmit less garish than it was, but looking at the screenshots on the link Phil posted, it doesn’t look like you’re in luck 😳. I have Forklift too for FTP, which is much more reduced than Transmit but … if you’re not paying attention and have a lot open you can mistake the window for the Finder which isn’t a problem with Transmit.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#13 2020-05-26 09:24:41

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #323279:

Personally I find Transmit less garish than it was, […] I have Forklift too for FTP, which is much more reduced than Transmit but … if you’re not paying attention and have a lot open you can mistake the window for the Finder which isn’t a problem with Transmit.

The Transmit window(s) is/are fine as is, column view and all. I am less happy with the checkboxes on the inspector pane, but that is a minor issue. The horror is in the sheet that pops up for every other (trans)action.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?

#14 2020-05-26 10:03:49

Dragondz
Website

For me it s Notepad++ simple and fast

#15 2020-05-26 10:34:48

Bloke
Developer
Website

I use Sublime Text at the moment. Been through a heap of code editors and this one has stayed the longest. I don’t have any syntax highlighting for .txp files in it but I don’t edit them that much offline.

I’ve also installed Visual Studio Code at the recommendation by another developer I met recently. It looks okay but I haven’t invested much time in using it so it’ll probably just rot unless I find a compelling reason to switch from Sublime.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#16 2020-05-26 15:58:48

bici
Website

I never knew about Sublime. just downloaded it. So far i like it.

That area to the right which is a small pane of the file is kind of weird. i’ll see if it can be toggle it off.

…. texted postive

#17 2020-05-26 18:03:22

Bloke
Developer
Website

bici wrote #323299:

I never knew about Sublime. just downloaded it. So far i like it.

It has its foibles, but it’s largely a good piece of kit. The multi-select-and-instant replace feature is pretty neat. It’s fairly standard now in editors but highlighting something and hitting CTRL/CMD-D to select each successive matching entry in the file, then hitting escape puts you in Multi Edit mode where you can alter all those selected entries at once.

Same with Alt-clicking and dragging to select the middle of a bunch of lines and edting all of them at once. Great for prefixing stuff. And suffixing works well if you select the last character and alt-drag down; it selects the last character of every row, regardless of how many characters are in it (ragged-right select). Very neat.

Some of the plugins are superb. Git gutter is brilliant as it shows you changed lines in the editor via red/yellow indicators and allows you to roll back changes or view diffs right there in the editor. DocBlockr is great too. Type a function in, put the cursor above it and enter /** then tab/enter and it creates a doc block above the function with as much info as it can autofilled from the function you typed.

That area to the right which is a small pane of the file is kind of weird. i’ll see if it can be toggle it off.

View->Hide Minimap :)

Last edited by Bloke (2020-05-26 18:07:07)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#18 2020-05-26 19:45:54

etc
Developer
Website

If some of you wealthy Mac owners could help with MarsEdit testing..? It’s about the last 4.8.1 blocker afaik.

#19 2020-05-27 07:41:19

gaekwad
Admin

etc wrote #323307:

[…] wealthy Mac owners […]

I’m more peasant-tier…

…but I’ll take a look.

#20 2020-05-27 14:43:39

marios2

Thanks for your input everyone. To summarize, the following Editors have been suggested and are used by the Textpattern community for TXP tags.

• BBedit
  • Atom
  • Coda
  • Sublime Text 3
  • Notepad ++
  • Textmate

As I have mentioned, I can easily set up a snippet in Textmate with Stopvariables ( unlimited).
The commands I have do not work at the moment in Textmate2 ( I’ll net to contact support ).

Regards.Marios

Board footer