Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-05-07 20:16:37

seacaptdon

Unable to log into control panel

I installed the Textpattern app to subdomain txptest.sharinginsights.online and cannot login to the admin control panel. When I try, I get the following error message:

Warning: FUNCTION dongro86_ei.old_password does not exist select name from textp_txp_users as txp_users where name = 'dongro86' and (pass = password(lower('REDACTED')) or pass = password('REDACTED') or pass = old_password(lower('REDACTED')) or pass = old_password('REDACTED')) and privs > 0 in /home/www/txptest.sharinginsights.online/textpattern/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php on line 85

The tech support on the website sent me the following message:

Thank you for contacting our Technical Support Department.

I have checked further and it seems that the login details have not been saved by the application into its database as I have check inside into the “users” table and it appears to be empty.

I would suggest to check with the vendor of the application on why that is happening and on how it can be created either automatically or manually as I cannot troubleshoot 3rd party applications.

EDIT: REDACTED the passwords which were showing in plain text.

#2 2020-05-07 20:37:38

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Unable to log into control panel

Hi, that looks like you’re using a very ancient version of Textpattern and there’s a good chance that your server is now too new for that. The actual site is at txptest.sharinginsights.online/textpattern/ (and the login therefore at http://txptest.sharinginsights.online/textpattern/textpattern). The date of the post says 2009. There have been countless updates since then.

If your intention was to install a new blank version of textpattern, visit textpattern.com and download the current version from the download button on that page and see the docs for installing textpattern. If you are trying to bring an old site back up to date and have the database for it, the version you have might be so old, it may require updating to an intermediate version first, then a current version. See the docs for upgrading textpattern or possibly ask one of us for assistance.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2020-05-07 21:26:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

If you’re upgrading, you should be able to jump from your current Txp 4.2.0 to the latest version in one hop. From the error message and the support response, it seems there’s one of two scenarios:

1. your admin password is not set properly/missing, as your host suggests.
  2. (more likely) you have a newer version of MySQL running (perhaps even v8.0) that does not have the OLD_PASSWORD() function in it, and is thus incompatible with the version of Textpattern you currently have installed.

In either case, you can follow the password reset advice. But bear in mind that if you have v8.0+ of MySQL running on your server (check your host’s control panel software to find out) then the only version of Txp that will run is v4.8.0 or higher – the latest one available from our website.

If you get stuck at any point, as jakob say, please raise a flag here and we’ll do what we can to get you up and running again on the latest platform.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2020-05-08 01:23:31

seacaptdon

Thank you gentlemen! I checked and the MySQL Version is: 5.7.27
I will install the current version of TextPattern and see how it goes.
Again, thanks for your help.

#5 2020-05-08 03:04:24

seacaptdon

I uninstalled the older version and installed Textpattern 4.8.0 and set up a database. I went to /setup/index.php and made it to the “setup database” page and filled out the form but when I click on the “Next” icon, nothing happens. I did a screen save but cannot find a way to upload it here.

#6 2020-05-08 05:06:13

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

seacaptdon wrote #322883:

I did a screen save but cannot find a way to upload it here.

Hi and welcome to txp.
I normally use imgbb.com/ for images that I link here.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2020-05-08 05:50:28

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

seacaptdon wrote #322883:

I went to /setup/index.php and made it to the “setup database” page and filled out the form but when I click on the “Next” icon, nothing happens.

Did you copy/paste the content for config.php?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#8 2020-05-08 18:24:13

seacaptdon

I guess not. I did not see that in instructions. I uploaded all the files using FileZilla and set up database location and then proceeded to the setup page.
I entered the information in the setup file but when click “next” nothing happens. No error messages that I see.

#9 2020-05-08 19:58:42

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

seacaptdon wrote #322886:

I guess not. I did not see that in instructions. I uploaded all the files using FileZilla and set up database location and then proceeded to the setup page.
I entered the information in the setup file but when click “next” nothing happens. No error messages that I see.

You need to replace the content of config.php on the server with the code it gives you when you run the setup routine.

#10 2020-05-08 20:07:20

jakob
Admin
Website

Hi Seacaptdon,

It’s odd that it shows nothing as there should at least be an error message.

Dragondz recently did an installation video (on youtube). It’s about installing on a local webserver but the installation routine is the almost identical. Do you get the page shown at 5:25 in the video ? The only bit that’s different – once you have downloaded the config.php file is that you need to ftp it to your server in the textpattern subdirectory of the main directory (in the video, Dragondz just copies it there in windows). If your setup is the same as you had it before, it looks like you installed the cms in a subdirectory called /textpattern, so your config.php needs to go in /textpattern/textpattern (hope that makes sense): it should be the same one that config-dist.php is in.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer