Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-02-26 10:28:09

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Update check fails, digging into why

There was a problem connecting to the Textpattern update server. Please try again later.

I’m getting this on every 4.7.3 -> 4.8.0 update this morning, the common factor being it was me who built the servers…so let’s assume I’m doing something wrong. I’ve checked back every two hours (outside the 1 hour check window), same thing.

The URL is textpattern.com/version.json (which is also on a server which I built, the irony is not lost on me). It is live, it is serving traffic to numerous hosts, there is no rate-limiting, the Textpattern server end appears OK.

I can curl it:

$ curl "https://textpattern.com/version.json"
{
  "textpattern-version": {
    "release": "4.8.0",
    "prerelease": null
  }
}

Perhaps there’s a snag with the PHP side of things. I have allow_url_fopen enabled. JSON support is enabled.

I have the luxury of being able to poke and prod the server, so is there anything I can try at a PHP or Textpattern level that would explain why this error has started occurring? I can assign some time to this, and I’m happy to report back, and I can spec out a doc if there are useful findings.

#2 2020-02-26 10:41:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Update check fails, digging into why

Baffling. You’ve got mail.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2020-02-26 10:44:52

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Update check fails, digging into why

Bloke wrote #321919:

Baffling. You’ve got mail.

And you have a reply. Thank you very much.

Board footer