Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2020-02-16 15:30:03

colak
Admin
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.8.0-beta.3 released

Bloke wrote #321683:

Not on the demo server. If I create that category and randomly assign some of the images to it, I get the correct value returned in the article. Is there something else on the page interfering? Does your source code or tag trace reveal anything?

Hi Stef, There is a number of article counters. Unfortunately I cannot get a tag trace when the error occurs as it breaks the whole page. The error is the only thing that loads. I’ll investigate further.

> Edit. When <txp:php>echo safe_count('txp_image', "category = 'publications'");</txp:php> is used without the surrounding equals the page does indeed break on the b3 demo site too. The issue is of course minor as the solution is already in the box. I nevertheless hoped that txp’s reaction would not be as radical.

Last edited by colak (2020-02-16 16:21:01)

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | NeMe @ github | Covid-19; a resource
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#22 2020-02-16 16:24:48

Bloke
Developer
Website

phiw13 wrote #321685:

Upgrading instructions may need a little tweak.

Yep. When 4.8 is out, we’ll do that.

gaekwad wrote #321686:

We should probably update the sys reqs article to indicate not all PHP installations have all the parts ready to go.

Definitely. If there’s no JSON support as well, people without that and simplexml are going to struggle. We need to trap those and deal with them as best we can. Thanks for testing.

If I get a chance, I’ll try and trap some of this stuff in a few commits today or tomorrow. If you have time and can rerun some tests in environments without those components, it’d be awesome so we can squash this.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#23 2020-02-17 08:56:38

gaekwad
Admin

Bloke wrote #321688:

If I get a chance, I’ll try and trap some of this stuff in a few commits today or tomorrow. If you have time and can rerun some tests in environments without those components, it’d be awesome so we can squash this.

Yep, happy to.

#24 2020-02-17 10:47:12

jakob
Admin
Website

Bloke wrote #321684:

My 9000th post, woohoo!

Wow, you are hands down the “Hamilton” or “Liverpool” of Textpattern :-) I think I post a lot and I’m not even half-way behind you*. Props!!

*In fact, I’m currently only just in the top ten according to forum search.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#25 2020-02-17 11:41:12

colak
Admin
Website

Bloke wrote #321684:

EDIT: My 9000th post, woohoo!

And it’s not just the quantity. It’s the quality too! Way to go.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | NeMe @ github | Covid-19; a resource
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#26 2020-02-17 15:31:25

Bloke
Developer
Website

Bloke wrote #321688:

If I get a chance, I’ll try and trap some of this stuff in a few commits today or tomorrow.

Daft question perhaps. Is there a way of temporarily disabling a library, either via a line in php.ini or by moving/renaming folders in MAMP’s installation path? Just want to ‘disable’ libxml to see what happens but I don’t want to recompile from source or anything that drastic. Wondered if there was a quick hack to nobble the library so that when I restart MAMP it’s not included. Easier to test that way.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#27 2020-02-17 15:41:54

gaekwad
Admin

Bloke wrote #321711:

[…] MAMP […]

Doesn’t MAMP use the underlying macOS internals? Please forgive me if this comes over as obnoxious, but surely a VM of a proper hosting environment OS would be more useful? If you combine this with snapshots, it’s relatively quick to purge the system library without knackering the host.

So, in the case of Ubuntu LTS, spin up a VM from the mini.iso netboot image, configure stack(s) to taste in the installer, let it get its stuff, you’re ready to go. Power off, snapshot. Power on, apt purge libxml, power off, snapshot.

Actually, I do sound obnoxious. Ugh.

#28 2020-02-17 15:59:21

Bloke
Developer
Website

gaekwad wrote #321712:

Doesn’t MAMP use the underlying macOS internals?

Maybe. I know you can configure which version(s) of PHP are available by hacking the /Applications/MAMP/bin/php directory and ‘commenting out’ versions you don’t want. Since it defaults to the latest two versions of PHP 7 but ships with a bunch of other versions, if you wanted, say, the latest PHP 7 and an older PHP 5.6 to be available, I can just rename all the other dirs, turn off the server, pick the one I want from prefs, and restart the server.

Just wondered if maybe the entire library ecosystem was self-contained in there too and it was possible to use similar trickery to dick around with the filesystem and ‘shut off’ certain components for testing purposes. Or maybe an override in php.ini I didn’t know about, like commenting out a load_module line or adding a disable_module line or something.

I could go the route you suggested and fire up VirtualBox but I’d have to then install Txp in there as well and set up MySQL DBs and such-like. Since I already have all that paraphernalia available on localhost, I was looking for a shortcut! No worries, thanks for the alternative setup ideas.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-02-17 16:02:36)

#29 2020-02-17 16:56:46

Bloke
Developer
Website

gaekwad wrote #321686:

There is no JSON support out of the box.

Wait, so that means the json_encode() function is missing?

#30 2020-02-17 16:59:24

gaekwad
Admin

Bloke wrote #321714:

Wait, so that means the json_encode() function is missing?

What can I do here to test that?

Board footer