Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2020-01-30 08:13:24

colak
Admin
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.8.0-beta.2 released

This issue might be undoable, and it existed since the beginning of txp.

Is there a way to only count a complete file download? At the moment the file download number is incremented every time the link is clicked, without taking into consideration that the download may have been partial, and hence unreadable.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | NeMe @ github | Covid-19; a resource
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#22 2020-01-30 08:28:35

gaekwad
Admin

colak wrote #321428:

Is there a way to only count a complete file download?

Web server log files. Depending on the server, and the format of the log files, it’s possible to log the number of bytes sent for a given request. Typically, a line in a web server log is written at the end of a request, so if a GET request for a 10MB file completes with 10MB being transferred, then that value can be written to the log file. If the user or process bombs out before the end, the bytes sent is written.

Web server log file analytics is what you’re looking for, I think. I’ve used Sawmill before, it’s proprietary and pay-for, but was good when I needed it. See also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_analytics_software for ideas.

#23 2020-01-30 09:16:39

Bloke
Developer
Website

Sadly not, Yiannis. Txp doesn’t know whether a download is canceled or is corrupt or if the power goes off mid-transaction. Once you click that link, and the dialog appears to save/view (or the download auto-starts, depending on your browser settings/mime type associations) the counter has been incremented. No way to do anything else.

It’s not like there’s even any callback or hook to get hold of when a download is complete, nor during its transfer. Once it’s passed over to the browser for download, it’s out of our hands.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#24 2020-01-30 11:33:28

colak
Admin
Website

Bloke wrote #321430:

Sadly not, Yiannis. Txp doesn’t know whether a download is canceled or is corrupt or if the power goes off mid-transaction. Once you click that link, and the dialog appears to save/view (or the download auto-starts, depending on your browser settings/mime type associations) the counter has been incremented. No way to do anything else.

It’s not like there’s even any callback or hook to get hold of when a download is complete, nor during its transfer. Once it’s passed over to the browser for download, it’s out of our hands.

I thought that would be the case. No worries.

gaekwad wrote #321429:

Web server log file analytics is what you’re looking for, I think. I’ve used Sawmill before, it’s proprietary and pay-for, but was good when I needed it. See also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_analytics_software for ideas.

A few weeks ago, I deleted Matomo from our site. For years I could track our visitors behaviour in our site, through slimstat, g-analytics, and piwik/Matomo. Since GDPR we opted to leave the cookie consent as unobtrusive as possible, because we would rather have visitors reading our content rather than having to give in to being tracked-be that in an ethical way. As such, I would rather not install any software for now and I will suffice with g-analytics, as pointless as it is for us now. Having said that www.openwebanalytics.com/ looks interesting.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | NeMe @ github | Covid-19; a resource

#25 2020-01-30 12:57:24

jakob
Admin
Website

colak wrote #321431:

Having said that www.openwebanalytics.com/ looks interesting.

You might want to look at Fathom, which has an open-source variant but has some specific server requirements. I couldn’t get it to work quite as I wanted. There’s a pay variant of that, though, where you don’t have to deal with that. You can use it for several sites at once.

Another pay service that says no consent notice is required at all is simpleanalytics. The reports are pleasingly simple to appraise too. Again, when used for several sites without huge page views, it could be a real alternative if you split the cost.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#26 2020-01-31 07:41:04

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve updated one (small and simple) real world site. Everything went fine. The com_connect plugin still works fine and sends a saner agent-string: X-PHP-Originating-Script: 72467:com_connect.php.

One note: on the upgrading page, please add a note that the /textpattern/plugins must be writeable, else you get a bunch of warnings when logging in. That makes everybody unhappy – Diagnostics panel would explain the issue as well, who sees that when first logging in ? (and yeah, my upgrade was on shared server with PHP/Apache configured that way).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?

#27 2020-01-31 11:18:31

Bloke
Developer
Website

phiw13 wrote #321444:

on the upgrading page, please add a note that the /textpattern/plugins must be writeable

Good catch. Since we’ve not officially released 4.8.0 yet, I’ve not done this here (yet). But I have:

• Added info about downloading the beta there.
  • Added mention of the plugins directory permissions on the new installation and upgrading docs.
phiw13 wrote #321444:

else you get a bunch of warnings when logging in

PHP warning messages? That’s not good. I’d like there to be no horrible warnings if the dir is not writeable. We should trap this and spit out something nicer. Would you raise an issue with steps-to-reproduce please so we can keep it on our radar and see if something can be done about it.

Thanks!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#28 2020-01-31 11:44:39

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #321446:

Good catch. Since we’ve not officially released 4.8.0 yet, I’ve not done this here (yet). But I have […]:

Good, that is what i like to see :-).

PHP warning messages? That’s not good. I’d like there to be no horrible warnings if the dir is not writeable. We should trap this and spit out something nicer. Would you raise an issue with steps-to-reproduce please so we can keep it on our radar and see if something can be done about it.

Hmm, not sure if those where those typical PHP thingies you get when you enable debugging mode. doubts doubts… it is anyway at the top of each page / panel. I’ll see how I can go about to reproduce it with screenshots and all those fancy things.

#29 2020-02-03 01:31:54

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #321446:

PHP warning messages? That’s not good. I’d like there to be no horrible warnings if the dir is not writeable. We should trap this and spit out something nicer.

Here you go: issue 1465. excuse the poor markdown formatting as usual..

#30 2020-02-03 10:48:53

colak
Admin
Website

phiw13 wrote #321444:

I’ve updated one (small and simple) real world site. Everything went fine. The com_connect plugin still works fine and sends a saner agent-string: X-PHP-Originating-Script: 72467:com_connect.php.

One note: on the upgrading page, please add a note that the /textpattern/plugins must be writeable, else you get a bunch of warnings when logging in. That makes everybody unhappy – Diagnostics panel would explain the issue as well, who sees that when first logging in ? (and yeah, my upgrade was on shared server with PHP/Apache configured that way).

Just to say that there is no such issue on my server with 755 permissions on the plugins folder.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer