Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2020-01-17 13:19:04

Destry
Website

Re: themes on 4.8beta

etc wrote #321181:

Is it so evident that articles and test sections are under development?

Well, based on the fact you removed the pill entirely here, changing the context of what I was talking about, the issue becomes something different.

If you really want to remove the pill entirely, then the visual/code cue needs changed to something else, such as an orange background on the assigned theme/assets names.

But, again, see my question about what the future development aims really are. Because at this point I have no clue what to expect.

Edit: You beat me. ;)

#38 2020-01-17 13:22:26

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #321184:

based on the fact you removed the pill entirely here, changing the context of what I was talking about, the issue becomes something different.

I have removed nothing at all, it is like it is now on dev demo site (for half an hour yet).

#39 2020-01-17 13:28:40

Destry
Website

Oh, I see. You picked a special case.

Well, I’m hanging it up until Monday. Do what you all think needs done and I’ll rewrite and image-fix when it’s locked down. Nothing else makes sense to me at this point.

#40 2020-01-17 13:30:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Let’s just take stock a moment. As it stands right now:

• Turning OFF the ‘Enable development theme preview?’ pref removes ALL ability to do development work for your logged-in persona:
    • No theme assignment to dev.
    • No deploy live->dev.
    • No reset to live.
    • No “dual lane” assets or themes.
    • You see the live assets at all times.
  • Turning ON the ‘Enable development theme preview?’ pref enables:
    • “Dual lane” assets or themes.
    • Assign a different Theme/Page/Style to live and/or dev.
    • Assign a different Page/Style to live and/or dev within the same theme. If this is done for a dev asset, the “In development” pill is not shown.
    • Deploy assets from live->dev (whether in the same theme or not).
    • Reset assets to their current live state (removing the dev asset assignment).
    • You see the dev assets at all times, if they are in effect.

So the question is: if you are overriding assets (a.k.a. doing development) by changing a section’s assets from one page/style to another within the same theme how do we mark this up in the UI, because it differs from the markup used if the assets are from a different theme.

We can either:

• Add the pill somewhere else in the row if there’s any development going on, regardless if it’s within the same theme or a different one.
  • Remove the pill entirely from the Sections panel.
  • Add some form of legend (if the ‘Enable development theme preview?’ is ON) that explains the upper lane of assets are Development assets and will override anything in the lane beneath the dashes.
  • Something else…

Last edited by Bloke (2020-01-17 13:35:13)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#41 2020-01-17 13:31:56

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #321186:

Oh, I see. You picked a special case.

In many cases you just want to tweak the page layout/CSS without creating a whole new theme for this, I see nothing special about it.

Bon week-end and see you Monday!

#42 2020-01-17 13:34:28

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #321187:

So the question is: if you are overriding assets (a.k.a. doing development) by changing a section’s assets from one page/style to another within the same theme how do we mark this up in the UI, because it differs from the markup used if the assets are from a different theme.

My suggestion was to put it somewhere along/below section names.

#43 2020-01-17 13:44:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #321189:

My suggestion was to put it somewhere along/below section names.

Right, which makes sense to indicate that development is going on somewhere in this row, and is a nice warning that some overriding is going on. I like it, and prefer it to having no indicator at all.

The only thing it doesn’t address – for newbies at least – is what the ‘lanes’ either side of the dashes mean.

We’ve experimented with ‘greying out’ entries but that’s ambiguous: the lower asset in the lane is still in force for the world to see, just not for those with the preview setting on, so greying it out is a little confusing.

We’ve experimented with adding an indicator directly alongside the theme name. That’s great if the theme has changed but isn’t made clear if you’re swapping assets within a single theme. And I agree there is nothing special about this case, it’s a logical extension of doing development on a live server.

So what we need to figure out is how best to mark up the fact that the upper lane is in force for anyone who has the preview pref on so it’s not super intrusive but is still clear that what you see on the front-end is NOT indicative of what the world at large are seeing at this moment.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-01-17 13:46:30)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#44 2020-01-17 13:46:04

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #321187:

Add some form of legend (if the ‘Enable development theme preview?’ is ON) that explains the upper lane of assets are Development assets and will override anything in the lane beneath the dashes.

If we put the pills beneath section names and dev assets beneath live assets (with top-aligned table cells), they will be nicely aligned.

#45 2020-01-17 13:50:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #321191:

If we put the pills beneath section names and dev assets beneath live assets (with top-aligned table cells), they will be nicely aligned.

On all width devices? If so, well, maybe that’d work, yeah.

When I said ‘legend’ I was thinking more of explanatory text outside the table or in a pophelp, something like:

“Assets and themes above the dashed divider are in development and visible only to users who have the Enable development theme preview setting switched on.”

But your idea works too. Probably better.

EDIT: I seem to recall the only reason we moved dev above live was to indicate it was “overriding” them. If we switch that order, we lose that little clue, but then we could argue that, since there’s really no change as far as web visitors are concerned, the top asset is the one “in force” and the one underneath is “waiting to be pushed up” (deployed). That might work as a concept.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-01-17 13:53:05)

#46 2020-01-17 14:25:10

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

That’s what I get atm:

Is there a CSS way to align <hr /> to td middle?

#47 2020-01-17 14:34:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #321193:

That’s what I get atm:

That looks fine to me. If we go with this and everyone’s happy I’ll whip through the themes doc and fix it so Destry only has images to worry about.

Dunno, sorry. You’ll need to ask someone more well-versed in CSS trickery than me.

#48 2020-01-17 14:42:22

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #321193:

Yep Nope, top: 50% does not seem to work. Waiting for UI-gurus feedback.

Board footer