Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-12-05 09:02:10

Destry
Website

Tolerable Medium

In the vein of Invidio.us (for YouTube) and Nitter (for Twitter), both of which are folded into the Invidition plugin for FF; thus working automatically on any such links you follow), the less nerdily-named, Make Medium Readable.

And here’s a good url to try…
https://medium.com/thisiscala/the-duct-tape-holding-the-internet-together-12118be60ff1

#2 2019-12-05 09:38:11

Destry
Website

Re: Tolerable Medium

From that article. The web is seriously broken. Being on it anymore is a roll of the dice in every direction.

I think if I ever lost my domain in a hostile takeover, I’d be so distraught as to never have another website again. That would be it.

#3 2019-12-05 10:03:35

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

The important take-home from this article is:

We’ve made sure the email address on our Gandi account is located on a domain name that’s not registered via Gandi, to avoid communication issues if a similar situation happens again.

That’s something I do as a matter of course for the standard eggs/basket reason. My registrars are given direct email addresses that are hosted on a web service somewhere else entirely. And they are the only services that get this privilege. Every other service that requires an email address goes through my hosted domains.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2019-12-05 21:14:02

bici
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote #320368:

That’s something I do as a matter of course for the standard eggs/basket reason. My registrars are given direct email addresses that are hosted on a web service somewhere else entirely. And they are the only services that get this privilege. Every other service that requires an email address goes through my hosted domains.

so to be sure i understand.

I have domain cool.txt registered with the Registrar NameCheap.com
My contact emails are OWNER email@me.com which is Apple and ADMINISTRATOR email@gmail.com which is Google.

is this a good scenario?

…. texted postive

#5 2019-12-05 21:29:50

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

bici wrote #320377:

I have domain cool.txt registered with the Registrar NameCheap.com
My contact emails are OWNER email@me.com which is Apple and ADMINISTRATOR email@gmail.com which is Google.

Yes, that’s fine and allows others to get in touch with you. But since you can (as far as I’m aware under GDPR in Europe at least) elect to not show your personal details on your public WHOIS record and defer the contact/admin to the blanket registrar details, I was talking more about the way you access your registrar’s control panel.

For example, when I log into gandi.net to manage my domains, I have a few registered there, but the email account I have registered with Gandi for my account profile is not an address at one of the domains I manage on Gandi itself. It’s a third party system, like gmail, protonmail, fastmail, hotmail, whatever.

That means, if ever there’s a problem with my domain – as was the case with the team in Destry’s link – any administrative emails sent out by Gandi can always be picked up by me, regardless if my domain is compromised in some way buy misconfiguration or a takeover or whathaveyou.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2019-12-06 08:54:36

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Ah, Destry, you should not post those dreadful stories full of complicated problems. I had read the article, and shortly after, wanted to do some management and content on a personal site. Thing has vanished from them web… Blood pressure shoots through the roof, Paranoia kicks in full colours… double other browser, other machines, mobile connection. nothing. Host CP and registrar check out all ok. pfff. Blood pressure sinks a little. Time for a walk.

2 hours later. All OK. Still is hours later… wait hold on (paranoia…) … yes it still is.

Yeah one off those gremlins somewhere…

—-
More seriously. Yes yes, complete separate mail account(s) to manage the registrar and host. Fully agree with Bloke. I would add, especially if you use dedicated email accounts: regularly verify the you (still) have full access to those things, and that they are functional.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#7 2019-12-07 15:55:16

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #320380:

. . . wait hold on (paranoia…) … yes it still is.

I think that’s the funniest you’ve ever been.

#8 2020-09-24 15:46:04

Destry
Website

Destry wrote #320366:

In the vein of Invidio.us (for YouTube) and Nitter (for Twitter), both of which are folded into the Invidition plugin for FF; thus working automatically on any such links you follow), the less nerdily-named, Make Medium Readable.

I stay well away from Medium anymore, filter or not. I just can’t bear the stomach-turning content/brand/ego marketing that is the vast majority of it.

But the point of pinching a loaf here is, the invidio.us instance folded and the project is kinda trying to stay active now that the founder failed, or whatever happened. They can’t find anyone with the same skeelz and gumption, apparently.

Freetube to the rescue. Runs on the same Invidition API, or something, and even comes in a native client flavour. Just so you know.

Board footer