Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2020-11-20 13:41:04

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Fookin' GAFM, again

jakob wrote #326955:

I’m fortunate to be able to work in contexts where I can sometimes influence decisions to a degree.

Actually, this is something I hadn’t considered and is very relevant. I do have the common clients with ‘normal’ needs, but a slowly increasing number are more aware of this stuff. It’s not something I get rabid about, but it’s nice when I have people contact me with need for a bulletproof server and full ownership / containment of their stuff.

When’s the next TED talk? I’ll be there ;-)

Thanks! Ironically, when I finally get my act together and actually write something – I know, the audacity – with this infernal CMS, I’ll have more idea on that.

#74 2020-11-20 13:53:09

Destry
Website

All good, Pete, and rightly said.

I’d like to just elaborate on the subject of these kinds of threads, as I’ve often been the cause of them.

This thread and others like them in the Forum, certainly any that I have started as a failure of better judgement, and speaking for myself regardless, are reflections of the greater, temporal conversations and realizations taking place in the wild (i.e. outside of this forum) and my ever-changing (adapting being a better word) position in relation. I post such notions in here, hoping they’re not too out of scope, because I value the collective hive mind of this community that I’ve been a part of for 16 years and like to see how some of these things bounce with y’all against my own position. We certainly don’t always agree in this community, which is part of the value. One thing this community is not is an echo chamber.

To this thread specifically, I think nobody should take it any more seriously than as a place to vent about big tech then get on with the day. No harm done, but maybe a little good. ;)

That said, I know these kinds of threads are not for everybody, and maybe even put some people off, whether it’s the futility of the subject, or that someone actually likes Google, or simply recognizes that Google is entrenched in many business routines that are hard to avoid. On that note, I strongly recommend to anyone that dreads getting notifications to these threads to unsubscribe from them. Also, no offense taken if my threads on such topics are ignored, or even removed. I’ve said it before, mods have my advance permission to do so. I’m the last person to be hung up on thread perpetuity (a certain point of disagreement for many that was already kicked around in the GDPR thread, I believe).*

Truth be told, I don’t subscribe to threads here anymore unless I’ve specifically asked a tech or project related question (or I’ve started a thread on an ongoing investigation, such as the glossary setup still in progress), and as soon as I get that dope I unsubscribe again, pronto. I float through the forum on my own accord, or the occasional search, and that’s how I entertain it. I’ve come to really dislike auto email notifications filling up my inbox, no matter the source.

Finally, I’m like you, I try to avoid as much of the surveillance capitalism (and hardware capitalism) I can while still trying to make a few spondulicks, and more recently, while trying to get out of digital client services entirely. I’m almost there, if but dirt poor. That’s part of the interest, though, seeing what kind of tech portfolio and workflow can work, however unexpected with collaborators. ;) I’m still sucking up to Apple so far, but my late 2011 mbp can only take Sierra now, and I’m seriously thinking of making it an ubuntu machine. And old is new, after all, so having one of each can be part of the tech portfolio plan, clients or no.

* You may recall, on the contrary, that I think forum systems should have the equivalent of an account kill-all that satisfies GDPR for any account holder who wants to leave and wipe up their tracks without otherwise effecting other posts in a thread; kind of like a spreadsheet’s ‘clear cell data’ function as opposed to a delete entire column. One of the problems of web 1.0 software, imo, was the lack of foresight in such things. Such functionality is not something you could introduce into a community like ours now, I realize. That kind of thing has to be a part of a community from the start. All I’m saying is I’m not bothered by self-erasure if one decides to do that for themselves. GDPR makes a good framework for that situation.

#75 2020-11-20 13:54:46

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #326955:

I’m probably not quite as principled as you, but still I try and choose as wisely as possible for myself where I can, and advise others on other ways where possible and viable. I’m fortunate to be able to work in contexts where I can sometimes influence decisions to a degree.

Exactly that. The good fight where it can be fought.

Last edited by Destry (2020-11-20 14:09:23)

#76 2020-11-20 14:53:12

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #326958:

I’m still sucking up to Apple so far, but my late 2011 mbp can only take Sierra now, and I’m seriously thinking of making it an ubuntu machine. And old is new, after all, so having one of each can be part of the tech portfolio plan, clients or no.

This is not far off my own situation my daily driver is holding up just fine, I can pick up a used-but-tidy Mac mini from 2012 for under £200 / €250 typically, strip it down, fit a dual SATA adaptor, 16GB RAM, a couple of SSDs and – boom – perfectly serviceable. Catalina is…not for me UI-wise, Mojave is as far as I dare go, and I’m not touching anything newer until I absolutely must (or a dump truck of money arrives for a work gig, hehe).

I have a background task to see if I can set up a Linux workstation and see how I fare with that for daily use. There’s also another avenue that I could perhaps investigate that makes Not A Mac into Thinks It’s A Mac but can’t go into more detail lest Apple Legal is monitoring this thread. Drop me a line if you’re curious, anyone. You must declare if you’re Apple Legal, otherwise it’s entrapment. I’ve said too much. Ahem.

This is the longest-lasting community / forum that I’ve been involved with. My interest in Textpattern and its processes would be near zero were it not for the people that I’ve met and got to know over the years. I think I owe Stef about thirty beers now, and he owes me…what…4 lime and sodas?

#77 2020-11-20 14:59:17

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #326958:

I post such notions in here, hoping they’re not too out of scope, because I value the collective hive mind of this community that I’ve been a part of for 16 years and like to see how some of these things bounce with y’all against my own position. We certainly don’t always agree in this community, which is part of the value. One thing this community is not is an echo chamber.

Heavy +1 to this, for what it’s worth.

#78 2020-11-21 01:22:57

bici
Website Mastodon

…. texted postive

#79 2020-12-14 22:15:09

bici
Website Mastodon

“In the fall of 2018, we noticed that there was something that set Google apart from other big tech companies. Everybody was talking about how to regulate these tech companies, and everybody had pretty good plans for how to do it — for every company besides Google. In our opinion, it was because nobody really seemed to understand what Google does, or how they do it.”

Anyone want to join the The Knuckleheads’ Club

…. texted postive

#80 2020-12-15 02:23:17

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

It’s not the casual Web surfers who are complaining. But as Google expands beyond mere search services, it sometimes alienates tech-smart users who were once devotees of the company. – As Google grows, critics emerge

That reminded me of the first Anti-Google article I ever read – from November 2003.

#81 2020-12-15 04:11:15

bici
Website Mastodon

Here is Tim Bray’s take on google.

…. texted postive

#82 2020-12-17 18:01:40

bici
Website Mastodon

I love reading about the FarceBook getting hammered.

Just because there is now a multi-billion-dollar industry based on the abject betrayal of our privacy doesn’t mean the sociopaths who built it have any right whatsoever to continue getting away with it.

via Gruber

…. texted postive

#83 2020-12-17 18:03:18

Destry
Website

Wow. This gets better as it goes.

Facebook Is a Doomsday Machine

Vivre LaFrance !

I’ve got to get my token I quit socmed piece finished/published before it sounds like I’m hopping the bandwagon instead of having been long gone over the grassy knoll.

#84 2020-12-17 18:45:51

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #327581:

I’ve got to get my token I quit socmed piece finished/published before it sounds like I’m hopping the bandwagon instead of having been long gone over the grassy knoll.

stay the course lad

…. texted postive

Board footer