Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2020-10-14 13:31:33

Destry
Website

Re: Fookin' Goog 'n' Farcebook again

bici wrote #326364:

i have heard back from number of friends that they wanted to reduce their online presence since viewing The Social Dilemma film.

I was going to share this last month but decided to spare everyone. Now I have no choice.

Why is the world going to hell? Netflix’s The Social Dilemma tells only half the story

Cook’s a good writer. I’ve been enjoying his articles for that reason alone.

After reading this article, I didn’t need to watch the documentary, and have not; it would just make me more angry at the gullibility of most humans. Though I might make the rest of the family watch it.

Last edited by Destry (2020-10-14 13:32:38)

#62 2020-10-14 15:22:18

Bloke
Developer
Website

That’s a great article. Thanks for sharing, Destry.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#63 2020-10-14 19:07:56

bici
Website

Destry wrote #326381:

Why is the world going to hell? Netflix’s The Social Dilemma tells only half the story

thanks. i will be passing this on to others. I agree that the netflix doc is a bit rudimentary but at least it’s a very useful film to get people to think. I need to work harder on my daughter-in-laws to give up their FB/Instagram nonsense… my sons don’t use either of those.

…. texted postive

#64 2020-10-15 05:28:19

bici
Website

gaekwad wrote #326376:

I’ve got Pi Hole running at the DNS level, along with AdGuard at the device level where it’s viable, and that takes care of most stuff or me.

i am surprised that PI Hole is not on MacOS which is a unix system after all …

…. texted postive

#65 2020-10-15 08:37:09

gaekwad
Admin

bici wrote #326393:

i am surprised that PI Hole is not on MacOS which is a unix system after all …

It could be run in a container on macOS, sure – but having it attached to a network gives extra advantages:

• all devices that have configurable DNS servers can use it
  • it can handle DHCP requests just fine
  • a single board computer (e.g. a Raspberry Pi) is much cheaper to leave on 24/7 than a laptop or desktop

I’ve set my router to handle DHCP (which is normal), and use the Pi as primary DNS, with Quad9 as the secondary DNS…so if the Pi goes pop stuff will still work seamlessly. The Pi in turn is set to round-robin DNS requests to 5 providers, and cache them for a certain time. This means fewer DNS lookups to the internet, though the benefit of this is minimal at a local network level.

A more obvious side benefit for me is having IoT stuff use it (albeit from a separate vLAN for safety) and be able to see exactly where’s it phoning home to. Those Kindle Fire sticks…they’re very chatty to Amazon. Visitors can join their own vLAN so the house/office stuff is isolated, but they’re still benefiting from some level of ad & tracker blocking.

Board footer