Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-09-17 06:48:00

Destry
Website

Old guard troubadours

Came across this vid of our ol’ pal, Kevin Potts, giving a presentation in Mallorca this past spring, apparently.

Some of you may remember him; a Txp user since the beginning, coauthor of the only Txp book ever published, a column editor on our TXP mag team, and later joining me as the brand manager for CSF, before it retired (this was his work).

Kevin is a good man. Smart. Talented. Articulate and concise. Immensely skilled with the written words. Has been a vital confidant in affairs of state for me on many occasions. And he’s absolutely no bullshit, though I think he’s taken the blue pill in the marketing matrix. ;)

He’s happily in Germany these days, having escaped the US to take a CMO role at DocuWare.

Maybe a Txp veterans meet in Germany could happen some day.

Much easier said than done, though.

#2 2019-09-19 05:26:56

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Old guard troubadours

Destry wrote #319302:

Maybe we can get a Txp veterans meet in Germany some day, and just talk about the changing weather and times.

would love to hear that it will take place ….

…. texted postive

#3 2019-09-19 14:26:04

Destry
Website

I’ve always wanted to go to Oktoberfest. But not actually pass out on the street curb.

#4 2019-09-19 15:04:47

jakob
Admin
Website

I’d love to see a txp meet-up in Germany, ideally with the great minds from the UK over here too, and with veterans and new/active users alike. If there was some real interest, I could look into possibilities round where I am based in central Germany (midway between Frankfurt and Berlin).

Destry wrote #319330:

I’ve always wanted to go to Oktoberfest. But not actually pass out on the street curb.

I like a beer and a good biergarten too but the Oktoberfest is not for me, I’m afraid. You really need to like the dressing up, music and fairground atmosphere, and have the capacity to drink copious quantities of alcohol and shout at each other until you are hoarse.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2019-09-20 07:40:53

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #319302:

Maybe a Txp veterans meet in Germany could happen some day.

Much easier said than done, though.

a couple of old people on a bench in the park under the autumn sun… I like that…

the young ones are certainly allowed to join in the fun.

Northern Germany, next autumn ? I maybe around.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#6 2019-09-20 12:46:47

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #319332:

…drink copious quantities of alcohol and shout at each other until you are hoarse.

That does not sound good.

But somewhere pleasant with refreshment in hand certainly does.

As for ‘veteran’, I was not meaning to exclude anybody. It came from the initial thought of long-time Txp users, as opposed to old fogies, but some of us our both, I guess.

The truth is, I don’t think I’d want to talk about Txp, much. We do that already right here. I’d want to use the rare opportunity to know folks better; the little things, the backstories, the big pictures…

Such migrations are not easy and rarely convenient, unfortunately. And teleconferencing just isn’t the same, in my opinion.

I’ve been making an effort to write my family and friends by hand from now on (short text chat excluded). Delivery takes longer, but it’s part of the charm and pleasure of receiving. I figure it’s now or never with that kind of thing, before people die or the planes stop flying. It’s been nice to occasionally find an actual letter instead of only junk and bills. My mother prefers it. And it’s not too difficult since I don’t have but one friend in the States anymore (none here in France). I’d be up for a few more familiar pen pals who can commit to that medium. The only expectation being for both parties: if you get a letter, you write one back. Otherwise, write as much or little as you want on whatever topic behooves ye. Surprise ‘em. ;)

Board footer