Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2019-04-10 08:16:04

Destry
Website

Re: Brave Browser

phiw13 wrote #317579:

what if ping, as a browser approved and build-in mechanism, is actually much less invasive . . . and, perhaps is destined to deprecate a myriad of tracking techniques currently being used ? That was at least the original intent of this feature.

If that’s the case, fine. But is that the case yet?

Do you really trust Brave, Vivaldi, and all those other players that build on Chromium ?

I don’t use them.

But I do have IceCat installed, sitting there mostly unused. Tor browser too, just as unloved. And I do use Safari to test my layout hacks. But 99% of the time it’s FF, and I’ve become highly dependent on the tab stacking extension.

#26 2019-04-12 03:17:19

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

John Wilander, Apple (Safari team), explains how it works, in concert with Safari’s ITP2.0: Link Click Analytics and Privacy (Webkit.org blog post).

That is for Safari. Chrome does not have any build-in tracking prevention, of course. And Google engineers try hard to make it as difficult as possible to implement something like that. To their credit Chromium engineers are do their best in fighting the good fight (it is still possible to install ad-blocking extensions on Chrome, afaik).

(now back to fight for things that really matter – on the menu today, Chelsea and Julian).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#27 2019-04-12 10:14:36

Destry
Website

Just read it through a different source and was coming here to say I understand your position better now, I think.

Basically, tradeoffs. But Apple sems to be making the best choice, for the sake of… performance?

And use those blocking tools!

#28 2019-04-12 14:09:27

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #317605:

Basically, tradeoffs. But Apple sems to be making the best choice, for the sake of… performance?

Yes tradeoffs (in the development of a browser) – performance and privacy vs the need to have buy-in from the site-developers…

And use those blocking tools!

Yes! – look here (othermaciej is the lead of team Safari, fwiw).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#29 2019-04-17 15:53:50

Destry
Website

Disengenuous’ Brave.

Board footer