Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2019-03-31 12:53:25

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Re: Brave Browser

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#14 2019-03-31 13:14:40

Destry
Website

From what I understand by the infosec extremists on M’don, IceCat has run with the ethical browser design further than any other at this point.

#15 2019-04-08 09:29:48

Destry
Website

Future versions of mainstream browsers, except FF (so far), to prevent disabling ‘click-track’ browsing. I.e., they’re going to make it easier for scuzballs to track you.

I’m not sure I’d trust Brave, Vivaldi, or any other semi-known upstart at this point, unless their project looks 100% dedicated to privacy, and I don’t think those are.

That said, just learned about Iridium Browser, but I don’t know much about it yet.

#16 2019-04-08 09:37:50

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Destry wrote #317532:

That said, just learned about Iridium Browser, but I don’t know much about it yet.

Hmmm

But it does call home to Google …

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#17 2019-04-08 09:43:11

Destry
Website

Iridium is based on Chrome, and they’re transparent about that, but unlike Vivaldi, for example, they seem to be modifying it more proactively:

We analysed the code of Chromium and stripped out the functionality which exposes data to others in a way we don‘t like.

So, there might be some Goog code signature there, but that may not mean it’s still insecure or benefiting trackers, and especially Google.

But, again, I don’t know much about it, just what I’m reading there. Nice to see projects trying. And it is out of Germany, a place that hates Google, for the most part.

#18 2019-04-08 11:21:47

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #317532:

Future versions of mainstream browsers, except FF (so far), to prevent disabling ‘click-track’ browsing. I.e., they’re going to make it easier for scuzballs to track you.

I don’t think that is correct – and the discussion around this is at least 10 years old. See e.g R. Mondelo (Safari engineer). Or a commenter on Michael Tsai’s blog. Just picking up a few (very few) dissenting opinions.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#19 2019-04-08 13:46:37

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #317536:

I don’t think that is correct

Which part, exactly? Excepting the ‘I.e.’ there, which was just my lack of knowledge on the matter.

All I know is the article is from a couple days ago.

It does give kudos to Brave, which I missed the first pass.

But this site is happily using Quantcast ad-tracking, the scurge of GDPR, so the double-stardard is offputting. Gawd, I hate sites like this.

#20 2019-04-08 22:39:32

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #317540:

Which part, exactly? Excepting the ‘I.e.’ there, which was just my lack of knowledge on the matter.

the privacy thing / making it easier to track you.

#21 2019-04-09 11:13:43

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #317541:

the privacy thing / making it easier to track you.

So you disagree with my interpretation of the article. Fair, I could certainly be wrong.

But what it seems to be saying is those browsers are disabling the ability to skirt the ping tracking, and the author even concludes:

What this means is that starting next month when Chrome 74 is released to the stable branch, the Edge, Chrome, Opera, and Safari browsers will no longer offer a way of disabling this tracking feature and privacy risk.

So you disagree with that conclusion?

I’m not trying to challenge your position or defend one I don’t have. I’m just trying to learn what this all means and whether it’s anything to care about. If you know something the author doesn’t, enlighten us. ;)

#22 2019-04-09 11:25:02

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

What I disagree with is that enabling the ‘feature’ is an additional privacy risk. Disable it and you are, as a user, still exposed to a truckload of ways to track you, and redirecting you or massaging the target of a link in obscure, undiscoverable ways.

#23 2019-04-09 14:08:55

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #317566:

Disable it and you are, as a user, still exposed to a truckload of ways to track you, and redirecting you or massaging the target of a link in obscure, undiscoverable ways.

That is no doubt true. And ping tracking is probably insignificant in relation.

But still, I’d rather the number of ways I can be screwed getting fewer, not more, and this seems like an odd position for browsers to take. Any software that prevents users from opting for more privacy, however comparatively futile, is a bad position for that software, I think. The wrong direction.

It doesn’t hurt me to not use Chrome, Safari, Opera (haha, Opera)… There are still options, so far.

#24 2019-04-10 03:06:05

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #317573:

But still, I’d rather the number of ways I can be screwed getting fewer, not more, and this seems like an odd position for browsers to take. Any software that prevents users from opting for more privacy, however comparatively futile, is a bad position for that software, I think. The wrong direction.

Hmm, what if ping, as a browser approved and build-in mechanism, is actually much less invasive (the browser’s ITP or whatever tracking prevention is build in – Safari / Firefox / Opera to a lesser extent can much more easily manage it); and, perhaps is destined to deprecate a myriad of tracking techniques currently being used ? That was at least the original intent of this feature.

It doesn’t hurt me to not use Chrome, Safari, Opera (haha, Opera)… There are still options, so far.

Do you really trust Brave, Vivaldi, and all those other players that build on Chromium ? Even Firefox is less than safe. A possible option is Lynx or other command line browsers. But you won’t get very far, I fear.

Board footer