Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-01-06 14:05:36

ax
Plugin Author

Managing categories

In a project with a complex hierarchy of categories, I am using the same category tree with all four category types (article, image, file, link). I wonder if there is an better way to keep the category types in sync, because it is not so easy to do all changes in all four category types when you have many categories?

Last edited by ax (2019-01-06 14:07:23)

#2 2019-01-10 16:06:14

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Managing categories

Do we really need to separate categories by type? Could you roughly outline the use of categories in your project, please?

#3 2019-01-13 07:41:49

ax
Plugin Author

Yes. Category types are used to provide access to resources via content-specific links. For example, when reading about a topic in the E-Learning website, links are generated to images relating to the subjects, or to linklists (for literature) or to files (for documents). A random example: Respirationstrakt. Links to files are displayed only to users from a certain range of IP-addresses.

#4 2019-01-13 09:29:28

jakob
Admin
Website

Do we really need to separate categories by type?

If you mean in general, I guess there’s a case for that, especially if the content types get extended one day beyond articles, images, files and links.

One key advantage of having categories restricted to certain contexts is to keep the drop-downs manageable for each context. Possibly there’s a UI solution to that…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2019-01-13 11:02:10

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

If you mean in general, I guess there’s a case for that, especially if the content types get extended one day beyond articles, images, files and links.

Yes, I mean categories are attributes of content, and articles, images etc are content. In some next version we should allow for flexible user-definable types rather than fixing them in core. And then we should treat them in some uniform way, rather than differentiating between article, image and so on. Common categories could be part of it.

Board footer