Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-11-08 12:20:55

rottitime

Showcase: deleted

deleted

Last edited by colak (2019-09-30 17:25:40)

#2 2018-11-08 12:30:30

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Showcase: deleted

Hi and welcome to txp. Nice site although you may have to work slightly more so as to make its code valid.

Edit: hyperlink removed at request of OP author.

Last edited by gaekwad (2019-10-17 15:49:22)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2018-11-08 15:19:32

rottitime

deleted

Last edited by gaekwad (2019-10-17 15:49:41)

#4 2018-11-08 15:23:47

colak
Admin

that was indeed quick and efficient. It is not me who is deciding on the featured sites but as far as validation goes you will need lots more work.

Edit: hyperlink removed at request of OP author.

Last edited by gaekwad (2019-10-17 15:50:04)

Yiannis
——————————

#5 2018-11-08 15:40:52

rottitime

deleted

Last edited by gaekwad (2019-10-17 15:50:21)

#6 2018-11-08 15:52:45

colak
Admin

Hi rottitime
Those who do decide always visit the forum. Joining the community and posting your txp work here is the first step.

Yiannis
——————————

#7 2019-01-15 15:08:09

Destry
Website

Hi Jaspaul, and Team Txp.

Just throwing this out there for everyone’s consideration…

I notice the following at bottom of the actual Txp Showcase pages:

Disclaimer: Inclusion in this showcase is at the sole discretion of the The Textpattern Development Team. Any site may be removed at any time for any reason. The Textpattern Development Team is not directly responsible for any content or views expressed within third-party sites. See something wrong in this showcase? Please contact us and we’ll look into it.

That should probably go in this forum’s sticky post too, with maybe some additional clarification about where the Showcase is and how the Team considers sites for entries so it doesn’t come across as whimsical or when moods are good. One problem might be that ‘showcase’ is being used to mean this forum for general sharing and feedback, and the actual vetted Showcase. Clarification may be needed about the relationship between the two.

Regarding the Showcase, big S, for example, and I’m not in charge of the Showcase, Jaspaul, but if I were, there would be some things I’d probably want a potential site to demonstrate. These are just a few thoughts:

• Clear indication the site is indeed running Txp. I think the way they look for that now is having <meta name="generator" content="Textpattern CMS"> in the head. In fact, I would make that a requirement, at the very least.1
  • Site is showing some modicum of purpose beyond just being design exercise? I don’t know. Tough call here, and that’s exactly why there should be some more transparency about it from the Team. I’d think a site representing a business, NFP, institution, whatever would be a reasonable way to pass that muster. The reason being, such sites are inherently motivated to be more informational and forthright from the get-go when it does represent something legal/official.
  • Clear indication of site ownership and contact information. In this day and age, that is fundamental to legitimacy. That’s one use for an About page, as example. But…
  • Identity can also be handled via Terms info. And yet, I’m looking through the only additional links on the site — Privacy and TOS — and there’s no identity/contact representation at all, which would be required for those pages to mean anything. I’m pretty sure a lawyer would laugh. As one example, they read ‘. . . contact us’ down at the bottom, but there’s no way to do it. And this looks pretty bad: ‘This privacy policy was built with the https://PrivacyPolicies.com generator.’

There might be other things to consider on the part of Team Txp, but that’s for them to make clear or not. Design, of course, gets everyone all giggly-tickly, and Bollywood is certainly decent enough, but that’s pretty meaningless if the site isn’t representing itself in other important ways. I’d be amiss to not say good writing is important too, for any site, whatever language.

Also, if it was me running the showcase, I’d give wise counsel that repeatedly asking to have a site added might only grate and irritate, not help or warrant. Meeting the minimums and showing patience is probably a virtue.

Finally, Jaspaul, using two different forum accounts to speak as one person is a bit disorienting. Maybe you should pick one and stick with it? That’s the general convention here, I believe.

Good luck!

—————-

1. Team, are you sure Hicks Design is still Txp? I thought he moved off a long time ago. In any case, he’s not using the meta marker. How can you even tell?

#8 2019-01-15 15:17:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #316137:

some things I’d probably want a potential site to demonstrate

Absolutely. All of what you said. Bringing it to our attention here is the first step, then we can at least give it the once over and decide if it goes in the portfolio on the .com site.

are you sure Hicks Design is still Txp?

Yep :) (link removed for security reasons)

(a better yardstick than the meta tag… there are other ways to tell though)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2019-01-15 15:20:58

Destry
Website

Haha… Bam! That’s even better. Still does anyone change that location these days? That used to be a thing years ago.

#10 2019-01-15 15:36:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #316139:

does anyone change that location these days?

Yes, some do. And those running multi-site will often use admin or something else. But if that test fails, there are other indicators we can use to ascertain the Textpatternability of a site. Txp leaves its scent in a few ways.

Last edited by Bloke (2019-01-15 15:37:27)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#11 2019-01-15 19:22:15

colak
Admin

Destry wrote #316139:

Haha… Bam! That’s even better. Still does anyone change that location these days? That used to be a thing years ago.

Unless you go for the multi-site option, other methods are slightly convoluted. I wish it was something we could establish in the config file, but on the other side, it’s good to be able to easily check too.

I guess that one of the most visited txp sites, adblockplus.org, is hardly recognised by this community regardless of the number of the number of people who are possibly using the plugin.

Bloke wrote #316140:

Yes, some do. And those running multi-site will often use admin or something else. But if that test fails, there are other indicators we can use to ascertain the Textpatternability of a site. Txp leaves its scent in a few ways.

I’d like to know^^, but I guess that this should not be public knowledge.

Last edited by colak (2019-01-15 19:24:14)

Yiannis
——————————

#12 2019-04-26 16:44:58

bici
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote #316138:

Team, are you sure Hicks Design is still Txp?

he is, and he is also an Affinty user .
British design legend Jon Hicks would join the ranks of Affinity Designer users, and now he has!

…. texted postive

Board footer