Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-10-20 15:05:04

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Windows

Here’s a good critique of the MS windows.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2018-10-20 19:19:49

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Windows

colak wrote #314663:

Here’s a good critique of the MS windows.

Windows is dead. They fired Steven Sinofsky. They fired Terry Myerson (or he quit rather than being demoted). It is now part of the Azure group – but not an important part.

It is a profitable legacy business for them but eventually they are going to pull the plug, buy Canonical, and market Microsoft Linux to developers and gamers – the only people who use desktops anymore. Everyone else will be running iOS and Android (or Fuchsia) on their phones and tablets.

#3 2018-10-21 06:51:52

colak
Admin

Do you think that Mac OS is on its way out too?

Yiannis
——————————

#4 2018-10-21 09:27:54

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #314666:

Yes, or at least partly. There will be a gradual merge of iOS / macOS UI (the core codebase is already to a great extend shared).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#5 2018-10-21 13:21:12

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #314668:

There will be a gradual merge of iOS / macOS UI (the core codebase is already to a great extend shared).

Ironically, that was the way Windows 8/10 took with Metro.

#6 2018-10-21 14:15:41

colak
Admin

Time to move:)

Yiannis
——————————

#7 2018-10-21 14:37:04

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #314675:

Time to move:)

Don’t panic :-) It will take another 5 years minimum… And it doesn’t mean you’ll see an oversized iPhone UI (and interaction model) on your Mac. Microsoft ha already proven that it doesn’t work that way. Look more at the evolving iPad UI models (Apple playground for exploring next generation productivity tools).

etc wrote #314674:

Ironically, that was the way Windows 8/10 took with Metro.

Yes but the error of Metro is trying to implement the same UI (and interaction models) across devices from phone (touch centric + horizontal screen) to desktop (mouse /keyboard centric + vertical screen).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#8 2018-10-22 01:01:39

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote #314666:

I should have included that. I think it will stick around for a while yet simply because Apple did what Microsoft didn’t – moved everyone over to OS X and off the old codebase.

Microsoft had the chance to do that with Windows NT but either wouldn’t or couldn’t go all the way.

When Windows 8 was released, they tried Windows RT as an ARM-based solution – which forced everyone to only run only Microsoft store apps that used the new APIs and did away with Win32. Developers couldn’t be bothered to develop for it for the most part and it went away.

Windows 10 introduced Windows 10 S – an Intel-based version of Windows that also limited everyone to Store apps. They knew most people didn’t want that so they offered free upgrades to Windows 10 when you bought something with S preinstalled. And everyone did, so they could run Chrome and/or Firefox. Windows 10 now offers S Mode – which no one uses.

At work I found on my desk a computer running Windows XP when I arrived in 2013. When support for XP went away in 2015 I got upgraded to Windows 7. We recently got a notice to try out the new upgrade to our main application software – it requires 64-bit and all our machines are setup to run 32-bit. So I assume we will be getting a reinstall in a couple of months when the software goes live.

In 2020 the plan is to upgrade everyone to Windows 10.

#9 2018-10-22 08:03:16

jakob
Admin
Website

michaelkpate wrote #314679:

Apple did what Microsoft didn’t – moved everyone over to OS X and off the old codebase.

The levels of adoption in the marketplace were very different at that time.

In 2020 the plan is to upgrade everyone to Windows 10.

And in 2020 Microsoft launches Windows 20 and in 2021 drops support for Windows 10 ?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#10 2018-10-22 08:47:43

Destry
Website

There has never been a better time to start migrating off closed systems, if for the surveillance and capitalistic exploitation reasons alone. And especially since it’s not going to happen in one day, and maybe not in a year either.

For me this means finding the spondoolicks to get setup on an open hardware/software machine as well as I can and run in parallel with my MPB as long as necessary — finding the right software, workflow, and collaboration routines — until I can confidently drop Apple entirely. (The argument goes with the phone too.)

Point is, I wouldn’t wait another five years to get started down the path. There’s a reason Apple is the richest company in the world — grâce à nous !

Apparently Mohave won’t work with laptops from 2010 or older, even if those machines work fine. Mine is 2011, so I guess Mohave might be my last macOS if the trend continues.

#11 2018-10-22 09:06:58

Algaris

That was an interesting article. Thank you for sharing.

I don’t really use Windows myself as I moved over to the Mac back in the mid 2000’s for my main computer. I do have a gaming desktop PC but its main use is to run the games I have installed on it. I barely touch Windows itself.

The company I work for is primarily Windows based (I’m the only employee with a Mac on his desk), so I did find myself nodding my head in agreement with a lot of the article. I find it fascinating how Microsoft pivoted Windows into a SAAS and how Windows 10 is now the last version of Windows.

Regarding macOS I hope there isn’t a complete merge with iOS coming down the line. I don’t mind sharing features with each OS but the though of ending up with iOS on my Mac is not appealing.

I use iOS on my phone every day and my iPad has pretty much replaced my need for a laptop. However when I want to do real work I’ll fire up my 27” i7 iMac with 16GB RAM and a beefy graphics card. My worry with allowing iOS apps to run on macOS (which is a good thing in principle) is that people will code for iOS first and then do the equivalent of click a check box to spit out a macOS version, without giving any though to how a macOS app should look, feel and behave. IMHO macOS is not iOS and it never should be.

To use a Steve Jobs metaphor I’m a truck driver and always will be.

Last edited by Algaris (2018-10-22 09:09:01)

#12 2018-10-23 02:25:55

bici
Website Mastodon

I have not one scintilla of concern that APPL is monitoring me.
“richest company in the world — grâce à nous !”

so be it. this has been the case since Jesus was in diapers.

Plus SJ/APPl nailed it when they married OS with hardware. just nailed it.
I have much better things to do with my time than to spend days monitoring hardware/software doings.

Your car has loads of monitoring smarts. Who wants to build their own cars!

To date i have no problems with Apple.

…. texted postive

Board footer