Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2019-03-15 09:47:24

Destry
Website

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

bici wrote #317033:

some of the dedicated smart folks at webfaction are breaking away and forming a new hosting service

I wish it well, but… the TxD to Kaisen Garden experience did me in with spin out situations. I’ll check back in 5 years. ;)

Returning to my neck of the woods…

I’m rather impressed with my recent choice, o2switch. Everything is working and smooth. They do seem like a tight operation, technologically speaking. Docs are pretty decent too, even in French. ;)

Although, I’m a little baffled by one thing: I still can’t figure out what their stance is with data privacy. For reasons beyond me, I failed to even consider that when signing up. Like, I literally didn’t check anything about GDPR-compliance on them; forgot to even check if they provide a DPA (as WF and Proton do, and presumably others).

So I wrote them about it about 10 days ago. Crickets. I will write them again when I have some other more important tasks off my plate.

But I’m surprised by this vagueness, considering they’re supposed to be this progressive French web host, in a country with a data authority, CNIL, that wields a heavy hammer and is dutifully bound by GDPR. I don’t get it.

At the moment I’m running without a DPA from them, and I’m not sure I’ll get one. And they seem to love using IP addresses. Require one from me just to use SSH connection. White-list, or something.

To be continued.

#110 2019-03-15 16:17:27

defulmere
Website

bici wrote #317033:

so. once more: Hope for the Future
some of the dedicated smart folks at webfaction are breaking away and forming a new hosting service

i have signed up to be placed on their waiting list. Even though i am now committed to a2hosting for the next year. I would love to support Opalstack

stay tuned and follow, if interested, here

Sean from Opalstack here, thanks for the plug!

Destry wrote #317060:

I wish it well, but… the TxD to Kaisen Garden experience did me in with spin out situations. I’ll check back in 5 years. ;)

Ok, we’ll see you at that time :)

#111 2019-03-15 22:25:52

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #316659:

Another one for your collection :-) might be namecheap. I don’t have any direct experience of their hosting, only of their domain registration (which is fine)

hmm i am going to consider moving my domains from Dotster to namecheap

…. texted postive

#112 2019-03-18 16:43:17

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #315998:

Does anybody have any experiance with www.a2hosting.com/?

I do now. i have moved 75% of my sites over to a2hosting.com

Overall the experience has been pain free. Their support is top notch.— both in terms of quick responses and well informed answers. Lets Encrypt is automatic when adding a domain. My sites seem to load fast. Email setup is ok, but management of the accounts is not as robust as it was with webfaction. I have sftp and ssh access. i have setup easy monthly routines to backup my Databases and website files to Strongspace.

The bad: having to use cPanel. And having to use 2 or 3 three different webpages to accomplish various maintenance issues.
Overall i have had no major or negative experiences.

I will stay with them for at least the next year.

In the meantime I will be testing out opalstack when it becomes available.

…. texted postive

#113 2019-03-28 22:18:12

bici
Website Mastodon

i have two domains left to migrate. On one of the sites there is an email user who only uses WEBMAIL to access their email.
So how do i move their email over to the Webmail on the new server?
Stumped.

…. texted postive

#114 2019-03-28 22:22:02

defulmere
Website

bici wrote #317383:

i have two domains left to migrate. On one of the sites there is an email user who only uses WEBMAIL to access their email.
So how do i move their email over to the Webmail on the new server?
Stumped.

WebFaction’s webmail system is an IMAP client. If you need to move messages from WF to any other IMAP host, you can use tools like offlineimap, imapsync, or even drag/drop in a desktop IMAP client.

There are some offlineimap examples in the WF forum here.

#115 2019-03-28 22:34:57

bici
Website Mastodon

@defulmere thanks for your suggestions.

forgot to mention that the user is not tech-savy. i have to move the mail on her behalf. i was hoping not to have to ask her for the password.

I was hoping i could somehow use admin access to archive the old email then upload it to the new server.

I have used the IMap options on my desktop on my other own emails with no issue. I create a NEW account, on the new server and drag and drop the old emails from te OLD account to the new inbox and it syncs to the new server.

…. texted postive

#116 2019-03-28 22:38:14

bici
Website Mastodon

ps where are mailboxes stored on Webfactiion? can an admin tar the inbox and download it?

…. texted postive

#117 2019-03-28 22:54:10

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #317387:

ps where are mailboxes stored on Webfactiion? can an admin tar the inbox and download it?

I think they’re somewhere entirely separate and that’s not possible but you might want to check on the webfaction forum.

However, because they are separate from your domain, you can still access the mailboxes after you’ve changed your dns for as long you still have your account at webfaction (i.e. to retrieve or transfer mails. Sending or receiving will not work). I moved my client at the weekend along with 23 mailboxes and discovered it was possible to go back and snag mails that arrived between the transfer.

If your new host has a migration method in which you provide webfaction’s user name, pw and mailserver, then that will work.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#118 2019-03-28 23:36:50

defulmere
Website

bici wrote #317387:

They’re on a pool of servers separate from WF’s web servers.

You should be able to open a ticket and ask WF support to zip up the mailbox for you.

At Opalstack, we’ll always support drop-in maildir migrations whenever possible.

#119 2019-03-29 03:24:49

bici
Website Mastodon

i received a zip’ed file of the mailbox from webfaction. how do i import them to the new server?

The image on the left is the new mail directory, the one of the left is the webfaction email dirctory.

…. texted postive

#120 2019-03-29 14:31:09

defulmere
Website

bici wrote #317390:

i received a zip’ed file of the mailbox from webfaction. how do i import them to the new server?

The image on the left is the new mail directory, the one of the left is the webfaction email dirctory.

If your destination host is using Maildir for mail storage, then drag cur, new, and tmp from WF into INBOX at the destination.

Also, put subscriptions in the root of mailboxes, or maybe in annie if that doesn’t work. (This is the list of folders to which your IMAP client is subscribed.)

Ignore the dovecot* files, they’ll be rebuilt automatically on the new host.

Board footer