Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-09-21 19:33:22

element

[SOLVED] User_Error "Unknown column 'description' in 'field list'".

I migrated a website from 4.5.7 to 4.7.1 to a different server with a lot of problems because of PHP versions etc. The website is finally up but I can’t edit or add articles anymore.

The error I get when I want to publish an article is:

User_Error "Unknown column 'description' in 'field list'".

Modules disabled on server: define_syslog_variables, syslog, openlog, closelog, ocinumcols, ini_alter, leak, listen, chgrp, apache_note, apache_setenv, debugger_on, debugger_off, ftp_exec, dll, ftp, disk_free_space, disk_total_space, eval, allow_url_fopen, show_source, get_current_user, getmyuid, apache_child_terminate, pfsockopen, posix_ctermid, posix_get_last_error, posix_getcwd, posix_getegid, posix_geteuid, posix_getgid, posix_getgrgid, posix_getgrnam, posix_getgroups, posix_getlogin, posix_getpgid, posix_getpgrp, posix_getpid, posix_getppid, posix_getpwnam, posix_getpwuid, posix_getrlimit, posix_getsid, posix_getuid, posix_isatty, posix_kill, posix_mkfifo, posix_setegid, posix_seteuid, posix_setgid, posix_setpgid, posix_setsid, posix_setuid, posix_strerror, posix_times, posix_ttyname, posix_uname.

Any solution?

Last edited by element (2018-09-28 15:01:34)

#2 2018-09-21 21:15:53

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [SOLVED] User_Error "Unknown column 'description' in 'field list'".

element wrote #314126:

Modules disabled on server: …, eval, …

Without this you won’t be able to use plugins nor <txp:php />, I’m afraid.

#3 2018-09-22 07:40:35

element

The error has nothing to do with PHP modules. Plugins work fine. I changed the PHP version to 7.1. It’s a database problem.

I cannot edit or make new articles. I just get an error message ‘Because of an error the article is not saved, try again.’ at the bottom of the browser when I press Publish.

Edit: Just found out sections and categories are also affected by the same issue. So after the migration, I cannot edit or create articles, sections and categories.

Last edited by element (2018-09-22 08:38:20)

#4 2018-09-22 09:05:36

element

Solved!

The error literally said what was the problem. The column ‘description’ was missing from the textpattern, txp_category and txp_section tables. So I manually added them in phpMyAdmin and that solved it.

I guess something went wrong after importing the old database in a newer Textpattern.

#5 2018-09-22 09:47:30

jakob
Admin
Website

I saw something similar with the skin field in a recent upgrade. It seems that sometimes the upgrade process fails to properly run update scripts. I also solved it by manually adding the columns to the database, comparing with a clean installation to get the right settings. Sometimes nothing happens when the version number in txp_prefs seems to stay stuck on an older version.

I wonder if there’s a way to manually force/trigger the update process to complete what might not have been successful (skipping what has already been done).

@element: An aside: were you upgrading to a release version downloaded from textpattern.com or a dev version retrieved from GitHub?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2018-09-22 10:38:32

element

@jakob, I always use release versions from textpattern.com. Before, I forced the update-script by changing the version number in txp_prefs, it didn’t solve the issue.

Board footer