Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-09-14 15:53:14

Destry
Website

Textile Endnotes boog

I don’t know for sure this is actually a problem with the endnotes functionality itself or some other glitch in Textile, but I’ll be using endnotes in my articles quite liberally, so I thought I’d throw this up for inspection.

I found the oddity in this particular list (edited down here), which happened to have the condition ripe for occurrence:

notelist:†.

note#mhra. __Modern Humanities Research Association Style Guide__, ed. by Brian Richardson, 3rd edn (Cambridge: MHRA, 2013) %(annotation)Simply a superb reference . . . "MHRA Style Guide Online":http://www.mhra.org.uk/style.%

note#nosm. __New Oxford Style Manual__, ed. by Rosemary Roberts, 3rd edn (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2016) %(annotation)This is @span.annotation@ block behaviour as expected.%

note#idic. %(annotation)The iOS dictionary application is not a product of OUP, but . . . presumably.%

The notes are designed so a source is listed first, and any .annotation is display:block after the source. For example the above would render similar to the following (I don’t want to have to screenshot):

========
1. Modern Humanities Research Association Style Guide, ed. by Brian Richardson, 3rd edn (Cambridge: MHRA, 2013)

Simply a superb reference . . . MHRA Style Guide Online.

2. New Oxford Style Manual, ed. by Rosemary Roberts, 3rd edn (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2016)

This is span.annotation block behaviour as expected.

3. The iOS dictionary application is not a product of OUP, but . . . presumably.
=========

The third item is correct as their is no source, just an annotation only.

The problem comes with the first item. Instead of output as I would expect above, it’s outputting like this:

========
1. Modern Humanities Research Association Style Guide, ed. by Brian Richardson, 3rd edn (Cambridge: MHRA, 2013) %(annotation)Simply a superb reference . . . MHRA Style Guide Online
=========

I.e., span.annotation is not being render as it should. The opening Textile appears, the text doesn’t block display, and the closing period disappears.

It took me a while to spot the problem, but I can’t explain it. It’s the existence of a link — regardless of the period — at the end of the annotation. If I just change it so there’s no link at the end of the phrase, it works fine. I can rewrite the text so it does not end with a link, and I will, but it still seems like a bug worth mentioning as it’s not what someone would expect to happen and be confusing. (Though I’m probably the only person making notes like this.)

If I try wrapping the span with straight brackets (%(annotation)[text . . . "link":#.]%), often a nice trick, it comes out like this, with a stray leading bracket:

========
1. Modern Humanities Research Association Style Guide, ed. by Brian Richardson, 3rd edn (Cambridge: MHRA, 2013)

[Simply a superb reference . . . MHRA Style Guide Online.
========

If I put the leading bracket before the class parenthesis, as I would normally expect needs done, it blows even worse:

========

[(annotion)Simply a superb reference . . . MHRA Style Guide Online.
========

Voila. Bloke’s first Textile bug as new project captain. Let me know if you’d like this as an issue in the Textile repo.

I’m still ready to work on Textup! But it must have endnotes. ;)

Board footer