Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-06-05 12:36:40

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Microsoft has been talking to GitHub about possible acquisition

As often Michael Tsai has a nice collection of related links

Personal note: given Microsoft recent behaviour and developer support, I am not too negative about this whole hubbub. Had Google bought Github, or Oracle, I would have closed my account by now.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#14 2018-06-05 21:10:27

Destry
Website

Meanwhile, Gitlab is enjoying some growth.

GitLab Ultimate and Gold now free for education and open source

It has been a crazy 24 hours for GitLab. More than 2,000 people tweeted about #movingtogitlab. We imported over 100,000 repositories, and we’ve seen a 7x increase in orders. We went live on Bloomberg TV. And on top of that, Apple announced an Xcode integration with GitLab.

Lol. Apple no likey GitHub.

#15 2018-06-05 21:27:39

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #312357:

Apple no likey GitHub.

Perhaps, but Xcode has had GitHub integration for about a year already in version 9.

The whole point of git is that, in its simplest form, it’s not tied to a single source. I have local repositories with more than one remote, and when commits are made I push to each server in turn. It takes a bit longer, sure, but a git repository (typically) contains all the history back to day dot. It’s trivial to point it at a different server and continue as you were.

I’ve had to comprehend Adobe acquiring Magento in recent weeks, and now Microsoft have snagged GitHub. I’m cautiously optimistic about both, and I say that as a Mac user.

I’m with Phil – don’t care about it right now. There’s definitely a need to avoid entitlement creeping in, it’s a free service, so business as usual until stuff changes significantly (if at all). Huge difference in my involvement because of the GitHub UX, I can say for certain I wouldn’t be around today if Google Code was still in effect. I remember the barrier to entry for making diffs and all sorts of other stuff.

Oh, and +1 for it not being Oracle who bought GitHub. The horror.

#16 2018-06-05 21:33:40

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #312302:

It’ll be interesting to see if anything changes for Atom IDE development if the acquisition goes ahead, since it competes for marketshare somewhat with VS.

(this is where I make a snarky, somewhat tired comment about Electron app (e.g. Atom) memory usage)

I was very into Coda for years, and then Atom came along and changed things. And then I tried Visual Studio and was impressed. Atom is my daily driver, but I keep creeping back toward VS…Coda, not so much.

#17 2018-06-05 22:53:16

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #312359:

I was very into Coda for years, and then Atom came along and changed things. And then I tried Visual Studio and was impressed. Atom is my daily driver, but I keep creeping back toward VS…Coda, not so much.

What is nice about Atom? I have tried it a couple of times of the years and dropped it very quickly to go back to BBEdit (my choice for the past 15years or so).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#18 2018-06-05 22:57:07

bici
Website Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #312363:

BBEdit (my choice for the past 15years or so).

It (Still) Doesn’t Suck ®

…. texted postive

#19 2018-06-06 03:40:10

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

bici wrote #312365:

It (Still) Doesn’t Suck ®

+1

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#20 2018-06-06 14:36:06

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’m sticking with Coda for now, as it’s native and fairly fast and I like Panic as a company. But I have Atom and Visual Studio Code on my Mac too, along with Textwrangler (BBEdit’s little, discontinued, brother).

I think I probably have Adobe’s various web tools as part of Creative Cloud (but obviously I don’t use those). Didn’t know that Adobe just acquired Magento, thought it was an eBay product?

#21 2018-06-06 14:44:48

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #312363:

What is nice about Atom? I have tried it a couple of times of the years and dropped it very quickly to go back to BBEdit (my choice for the past 15years or so).

I’ve never (to my best recollection) used BBEdit. When I switched to macOS from Windows XP, I used the free flavour of SubEthaEdit for years, and then found Coda, and then Coda 2, and then Atom.

A lot of what I do code-wise is repository-housed, so I use Atom and its git-iness to see what’s changed in files. I have a well-spec’d Mac, and I don’t notice any obvious overhead from Atom, despite it being built on Electron (which is something of a meme for excess resource usage). Oh, and I use Tower for git stuff, because I’m not yet fully-versed in command line git-ery.

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-06-06 14:45:26)

#22 2018-06-06 14:47:09

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #312398:

I like Panic as a company.

Same here. I don’t know how they make any money, though.

(Which is not to say they should go down the subscription route, but I do wonder how they’re still around.)

#23 2018-06-06 15:05:46

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #312400:

Same here. I don’t know how they make any money, though.

Transmit sales primarily, I’d imagine. Plus they published the wide-acclaimed game Firewatch (before the makers Campo Santo were acquired by Valve). Coda Next is being developed at the moment and I’m quietly hopeful it’ll be nice.

#24 2018-06-06 16:19:21

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #312401:

Transmit sales primarily, I’d imagine.

Yeah, that’s fair – the macOS (S)FTP application range isn’t exactly brimming with Transmit competition.

Board footer