Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#321 2018-05-24 08:05:22

Destry
Website

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

Destry wrote #312043:

Anyone know good European-only web hosts? I.e. don’t use US data centers? That seems to be a hard thing to find. Not that it matters much anymore, legally speaking.

Here’s a German web host I just learned about that looks good for the ‘green’ stance they have. That would get my money if a few other boxes were ticked (have no idea about their GDPR compliance), but I can’t read anything. In any case, I’m in no rush to move at the moment.

Sorry to get off track.

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#322 2018-05-24 08:31:42

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry, I suspect PII and SPI are Personally Identifiable Information and Sensitive Personally Identifiable Information, but you’re right that they should be defined.

Re Webfaction server locations: you should see where your server is in your admin panel, and you can opt to switch if you want. My client’s server is in London.

In Germany, I mostly use all-inkl as a shared server web host and they’ve been consistently reliable and affordable plus you can get someone on the phone without waiting for ages; email service is also quick (that’s all been in German up to now, though) and the service staff are knowledgeable. A further plus for me is that they’re ‘local’(-ish) with servers in Dresden and are not a conglomerate. Let’s Encrypt is a 1-click affair per domain/subdomain. GDPR-DPA is available from within their customer area. They also use power from 100% renewable energy sources. Webmail users can set their own spam rules and own autoresponder (something that Webfaction still can’t do). SSL is available from the PrivatPlus (7,95€, 5 domains inclusive) account upwards, SSH from the premium account (9,95€, 10 domains inclusive) upwards. Their admin panel, accounts panel and webmail (all custom affairs that look a bit dated but work fine) are also available in English (and Polish) but everything else is in German – that is probably the biggest problem for you, I suspect. No idea about email service in other languages. Otherwise, it’s a pure and simple Apache, PHP, MySQL shared server setup, so no Node, Python, Ruby, etc.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#323 2018-05-24 12:08:09

Destry
Website

Thanks, that doesn’t sound bad. I could probably do with learning a few German words, the tongue of my forefathers. My kids are studying it now as a third language. I’m still mastering English.

#324 2018-05-24 15:18:23

michaelkpate
Website

With the clock counting down…

Publishers feel in the dark on critical points. Google has said it expects publishers to gain user consent on its behalf, in order to continue working using its ad tools. In doing so, it has proclaimed itself co-controller of that data, and some publishers worry that means it can decide whatever it does with that data — something that would previously have been purely in the realm of the publisher. (Google disputes this, saying having controller status doesn’t give it unlimited rights to the data, and that the use of data is limited by its contracts with publishers.) They say Google hasn’t shared any detail on how it then plans to use that data with any of its publisher partners. With the risk of costly penalties, publishers aren’t willing to be kept in the dark on how audience data is used, for which they are directly liable. – ‘No one thinks this is a good idea’: Some frustrated publishers are sitting out Google’s GDPR meetings

I am not sure why you want to skip a meeting if you think you are being kept in the dark but that is their prerogative, I guess.

If you can stand reading one more analysis I thought this one from Android Police was very comprehensive: The GDPR goes into effect on Friday, here’s how it will affect you

Oh, and I just installed a brand new version of the NVIDIA Experience desktop software. There were several new checkboxes about privacy and data collection when I logged back in – which the software required.

#325 2018-05-24 16:07:42

philwareham
Core designer
Website

No matter which way you slice it, this has been handled really badly by Google. Let’s not forget the GDPR law was passed in April 2016 and gave a two year transition period. Google’s recent and hastily announced data co-controller stance, to try and dodge the more stringent parts of the law for a data processor (which everyone knows they really are), is going to be a lawyers’ dream ticket.

#326 2018-05-24 17:00:15

Destry
Website

Hmm… Just noticed my WF databases are down, for example. I only sent the DPA minutes ago. I wonder if they’re requiring one from every client before giving them the go. o_O

In other news, Instapaper has apparently canceled frozen EU customer accounts because they will not be complient in time. lol

Anyone know of other companies not making the deadline?

It’s getting entertaining already. ?

#327 2018-05-24 17:08:55

colak
Admin
Website

By the way… It is not only Instapaper, many sites are currently blocking EU IPs and some EU sites totally closed shop.

In any case – for those who may have not tried it yet, the latest Opera browser has a built in free VPN

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | Respbublika! | NeMe @ github

#328 2018-05-24 17:09:40

Vienuolis
Website

Do I really need to go through all this hustle for just a personal website? No, article 2 (2) lit c clearly states that the GDPR does not apply to the processing of personal information in the course of a purely personal activity.

— wrote Hugo Leisink, an author of Hiawatha webserver software, in conclusion about GDPR.

#329 2018-05-24 18:37:31

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #312064:

Hmm… Just noticed my WF databases are down, for example. I only sent the DPA minutes ago. I wonder if they’re requiring one from every client before giving them the go. o_O

No, its been showing that message for a couple of days at least (I was working on a policy and was curious to see how you’d worded yours so I checked your site). I thought it was deliberate on your part, or that you were mid-transition to your new site. Check your details in config.php and whether you can reach your database via phpmyadmin/Sequel Pro (with Sequel Pro I have to use the SSH credentials). If not, send them a support ticket.

FWIW: My client’s site on webfaction is fine.

(BTW an aside: I found a way to create a single Let’s Encrypt certificate on webfaction for multiple domains at once. It’s not using the method you detailed in your instructions, but I can expand on that if you’re interested.)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#330 2018-05-24 19:08:42

Destry
Website

Board footer