Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-04-07 17:56:54

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

4.7 beta3

Just testing 4.7 beta3 with the new glz_cf 2.0 beta.

All good until now.

But one suggestion: Is it possible to add output forms to the tag builder on the form page, not just on the page page?

And: Why is the Extensions tab disappearing, when going to the plugins page?

Thanx very much for all you do!

Last edited by jayrope (2018-04-07 17:57:20)

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#2 2018-04-07 19:11:45

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: 4.7 beta3

jayrope wrote #310740:

And: Why is the Extensions tab disappearing, when going to the plugins page?

That has, I believe, always been the case. No plugins are loaded on the plugins page so that it is possible to go back and switch off a plugin that may have locked you out.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2018-04-17 19:20:32

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

Thanx Jakob, where can i file that feature request from above,

But one suggestion: Is it possible to add output forms to the tag builder on the form page, not just on the page page?

Thanx!

#4 2018-04-17 19:56:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

In theory we can put any tags in the tag builder on either panel.

The only reasons that output_form is missing from the Forms panel is:

• You’re in a Form already and sending Forms to Forms, while perfectly valid, is not an everyday action.
  • Which group would it go in? We use the woeful “Miscellaneous” as a catch-all on the Pages panel (note to self, change that one day) and I wouldn’t want to introduce it on the Forms panel too.

Perhaps if we collected together some other useful tags in the same vein as output_form then we could make a new group heading and add them there. The yield tag is probably not a good fit, sadly, as it’s too broad in scope to be of use as a cookie-cutter building tool.

Suggestions welcome.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2018-04-17 20:24:33

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

Agreed, that output_form should be in miscellaneous.
I use forms in forms all the time, in fact it is an everyday action.
Maybe that’s my half non-coder approach to things, but as i am somewhere between a user/prototyper and a (bad) coder i have use for code snippets/forms in forms/code snippets very oftenly. For me it is just an ergonomic thing, i would like to not have to jump back to that other page tab only to use a form in a form.
Thank you for consideration.

#6 2018-04-17 21:19:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I use forms in forms too in my standard layout, for example:

In main Page:

<txp:output_form form="head" />

In Form head:

<txp:output_form form="head_meta_css" />
<txp:output_form form="head_php" />

Keeps things neatly segregated, and easy to include (or not) various components that aren’t required in some sections.

But I don’t use the tag builder so I don’t miss the fact that output_form isn’t there. The tag builder was envisioned mainly as a leg-up to new users. People more versed in Txp tags tend to either:

1. copy n paste tags between Forms
  2. duplicate Forms that have similar content
  3. reduce the number of Forms by putting more in each Form and employing conditionals inside them to switch content in and out

Not saying that using the tag builder is bad for seasoned users (or those that design infrequently as a refresher) it just tends to be a slower process to have to build each tag by hand when CTRL-C / CTRL-V is right there. Especially when navigating using the excellent adi_form_links plugin, jumping between related Forms is a breeze.

This isn’t a hard “no” to adding the output_form tag, it’s just going to require some thought about who would benefit (besides you!) and if it is a small minority then the way forward might be to open up the tag builder to plugins to alter/extend so they can add their own tags. That would also allow plugins to feature their own tags in the core builder, which might be a boon.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2018-04-17 21:33:24

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #311133:

Not saying that using the tag builder is bad for seasoned users (or those that design infrequently as a refresher) it just tends to be a slower process to have to build each tag by hand when CTRL-C / CTRL-V is right there. Especially when navigating using the excellent adi_form_links plugin, jumping between related Forms is a breeze.

That is good to know because I use the tag builder regularly still and would love to have output_form available. And yes, I know you can cut & paste, etc., but sometimes it would be really handy.

Just a thought: Is there any way we could switch between the page and form mode easily? Just something to think about perhaps.

#8 2018-04-17 21:39:37

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

Well,
maybe the tag builder could hold a minimum of ergonomic (lazy coding ;) options ready, regardless, if it’s on a page page or form page.
It really is about speed sometimes, or even about lack of memory of tags, that could be supported. Which at last is an attitude keeping many people with something like Wordpress (excuse the bashing), though not realizing, that they have to get an overview on all sorts of things, which they may not need – before finding out, that they don’t need them, in fact.

Anyhow i am an infrequent or temporary coder, so my understanding of code needs to be relearned in parts every once in a while, and that maybe gets me to requests like this one.

Last edited by jayrope (2018-04-17 21:46:05)

Board footer