Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-03-31 12:23:56

Destry
Website

Your domains are gold

Kind of sad when I see old community members’ sites have bit the dust, like marios’ consking.

Makes you wonder what happened to people.

I’m beginning to think dark undertones as to why people self-exile. Certainly understandable, considering why I’ve taken erasure steps outside of this forum.

I get requests for my domain all the time but no values ever given. The biggest entity so far was a new Indian news company that launched this past summer called World Is One News. They wanted my domain, my Twitter account, everything. I said, ?!

They completely ruined my Twitter account though, even though I kept it. They went with ‘@WIONews, which is not exactly obvious, yet they market themselves heavily as “WION”, so every Indian Luddite (there’s a lot) with a phone and a grudge would use `@WION to tweet at them (often retweeted hundreds of times by lost fools) and guess who’s twitter account became immediately useless. I even got tweets from their lead editors and staff promoting themselves at my twitter handle, which poured gas on the fire. I eventually had to block everything that came from that situation. It helped.

I was already on the way out with Twitter, though, but instead of delete the account now, I’ve kept it only in spite of the news company. I used Twit Wipe to delete tweets, but apparently it only zaps up to a point, and none of the @‘s or DM’s, so that still sits there, painfully. I either have to manually do them (way too many), or just delete the account and let the news company win. Maybe that’s best though, let evil have evil. I don’t like deleting account without deleting the data first though, but in this case it may have to happen. Twitter does not make that easy at all.

I paid $90 for my domain in 2004 (someone else had it), and there were still things like wion.net, etc, available. But at the time it was oh-so-important to have a .com domain. lol

I’m sure I could negotiate a few thousand at this point, but I have no intention of selling, unless my kids needed college money or something. But by that point they’ll be in control of it anyway, if there’s still a web worth bothering with.

#2 2018-03-31 12:29:09

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Your domains are gold

:-) Agree. What about Stu and thebombsite.com, for example? He just disappeared. Granted, his was a very questionable domain name (hopefully he wasn’t erroneously picked up by the police).

The (to me) totally unnecessary scare these past few days about UK persons/firms no longer being able to own .eu domains in future got me wondering whether I’m going have to adopt some of my client’s domain names. Wasn’t there something similar with .ca domain names about ten years ago? I vaguely remember typographi.ca having to become typographi.com.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2018-03-31 12:44:50

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #310499:

The (to me) totally unnecessary scare these past few days about UK persons/firms no longer being able to own .eu domains in future got me wondering whether I’m going have to adopt some of my client’s domain names. Wasn’t there something similar with .ca domain names about ten years ago? I vaguely remember typographi.ca having to become typographi.com.

I think we’re going to see a lot more of that in the near future. A lot of people use country domains as clever domain-name hacks, and that’s going to come back and bite them as countries tighten things down.

#4 2018-03-31 17:02:28

bici
Website Mastodon

…. texted postive

#5 2018-04-01 12:21:18

Destry
Website

Twitter. Schmitter.

#6 2018-04-01 16:44:27

bici