Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2018-03-26 07:19:39

Destry
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.7.0 beta 2 released

phiw13 wrote #310365:

The ”Publish” string only appears when the status dropdown is set to Live or Sticky.

Ah, right. Of course.

Any other status it shows as “Save”. Labeling it “Create” or “Create Article” on a new, unsaved article might be a good addition though.

Yes, this sounds logical to me as button text under the prevailing design:

• Create article on new/unsaved article, whatever status type. (Only see the button, nothing else.)
  • Save on any previously created articles having Draft, Hidden, or Pending status.
  • Publish on previously created articles having Live or Sticky status, which gives the distinction of being live to the world (conceptually speaking)

The other links around the button in the latter two scenarios would be fine as is, as far as I recall.

In fact, going back to what phiw13 was saying about single words, this would seem to make sense too in a more consistent manner:

• Create
  • Save
  • Publish

The fact one is on the Write panel provides the context of what is being created, saved, and published in that case.

#38 2018-03-26 07:34:29

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #310368:

this sounds logical to me as button text under the prevailing design:

• Create article on new/unsaved article, whatever status type. (Only see the button, nothing else.)
  • Save on any previously created articles having Draft, Hidden, or Pending status.
  • Publish on previously created articles having Live or Sticky status, which gives the distinction of being live to the world (conceptually speaking)

Sorry, this is not logical: Create whatever status and Save/Publish depending on status. And when it is not logical, it is more difficult to code and to maintain. We should then get rid of Publish in favour of Save whatever status.

#39 2018-03-26 07:55:09

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

etc wrote #310369:

We should then get rid of Publish in favour of Save whatever status.

Fine by me. ‘Save’ seems to cover all available contexts.

#40 2018-03-26 09:17:52

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

phiw13 wrote #310367:

Also, as noted by @gomedia, yes on the Pages / Forms / styles panels, the “Create Page” link should not appear when already looking at a new page or form. I file Issue 1217 for that

(maybe something for TXP 4.7.1?)

And… that is already fixed ! (this commit). Thank you Oleg.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#41 2018-03-26 09:44:05

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

OK, some great options here, thanks all. So I think we all agree:

• Lose the text “Create article” beneath the ‘action’ button (I won’t refer to it as the ‘save’ or ‘publish’ button as that could get confusing here). That’s easy to alter in article_partial_actions().
  • Alter the button label to “Create” instead of “Save” if the current article is a fresh one and the status is destined as an unpublished state.
  • If, however, the article Status is changed to live/sticky, the button text is “Publish”.

Thus:

a) On a new, blank, unsaved article, altering the status will either display the button text as “Publish” if the article is going to be published live when the button is clicked, or “Create” if the article is going to be in an unpublished state when the action is performed. This is the same process if an article has been copied (by using the Copy button from the Articles panel).

b) Once the article exists in the database AND is in an unpublished state, altering the Status will toggle the text between “Publish” and “Save” depending on whether the action will just commit the changes or will commit the changes and make the article live on the site.

Questions / observations:

1. Once the article is published, altering the Status to an unpublished state currently has no effect on the button text. Should it change accordingly? If so, what makes sense?

2. If you do alter the status from a published state to an unpublished state, the <form> tag’s class is not altered back to ‘saved’. It remains at ‘published’. Thus the button text doesn’t subsequently alter as you change status, unless the page is fully refreshed first. Bug? By design?

3. If an article is Duplicated, it is automatically saved as Draft, thus there’s no “Create” action shown, only Save/Publish. It will either toggle between Save or Publish, depending on you altering the Status, as mentioned above.

Discuss…

Last edited by Bloke (2018-03-26 09:48:31)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#42 2018-03-26 10:14:33

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

1. Once the article is published, altering the Status to an unpublished state currently has no effect on the button text. Should it change accordingly? If so, what makes sense?

yes please

2. If you do alter the status from a published state to an unpublished state, the <form> tag’s class is not altered back to ‘saved’. It remains at ‘published’. Thus the button text doesn’t subsequently alter as you change status, unless the page is fully refreshed first. Bug? By design?

bug

3. If an article is Duplicated, it is automatically saved as Draft, thus there’s no “Create” action shown, only Save/Publish. It will either toggle between Save or Publish, depending on you altering the Status, as mentioned above.

correct performance.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#43 2018-03-26 12:03:33

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #310372:

Questions / observations:

If the article goes back to the Draft / Hidden / Pending status, then “Save” would be the expected text, I think. Note that for a Live article (or Sticky), once the article has been ”published” (first save when status is set to live), all subsequent saving, the button label is “Save”. So “Publish” is really a special string.

Hmm, I cannot seem to reproduce that. An older live article accessed from the Articles panel, loading the Write panel gives me a “Save“ button. I change the status to hidden, the button text remains as “Save“. (but indeed toggling the status does not alter the class on the form.

Expected.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#44 2018-03-26 12:10:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #310376:

If the article goes back to the Draft / Hidden / Pending status, then “Save” would be the expected text… Note that for a Live article (or Sticky), once the article has been ”published” (first save when status is set to live), all subsequent saving, the button label is “Save”. So “Publish” is really a special string.

That certainly explains why we look at the published state (class on the <form> tag) before altering the button label. And it makes sense. The only thing then is…

An older live article accessed from the Articles panel, loading the Write panel gives me a “Save“ button. I change the status to hidden, the button text remains as “Save“.

Yes. But navigate away, come back to the same article and play with the Status field. Subsequent visits to the same article restore the Save/Publish toggle behaviour. My question was whether that should happen immediately on status change back to an unpublished state, without the intermediate full-page refresh.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#45 2018-03-26 12:31:02

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi Stef, It’s my lunch break so I’m studying your thoughts more closely… I think that you may be over complicating the behaviours as I do not think that there is any problem in the way the button behaves today. Looking back on the forum (I’ve been around for what seems to be a lifetime), I do not remember anyone complaining regarding the button behaviour in the tabs. Could it become more idiot-proof? Possibly. Is it worth the labour and braincells to take it there? Probably not.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#46 2018-03-26 12:40:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #310378:

I think that you may be over complicating the behaviours

Haha! Probably.

The thing with the save/publish toggle after switching to an unpublished state is a minor quibble. I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. But changing the text pairs to Create/Publish instead of Save/Publish when on a brand new article is something that’d be a definite improvement, and means we can remove the “Create article” text beneath the button. Just makes sense while we’re doing that to check all other button states are aligned.

Last edited by Bloke (2018-03-26 12:43:50)

#47 2018-03-26 13:03:07

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

I think switching “published” state is actually an important action since it changes the public side state. Is it worth a confirm dialog on save when the state is changed? This way we would just keep Create and Save buttons and get rid of Publish.

#48 2018-03-26 13:11:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #310380:

I think switching “published” state is actually an important action since it changes the public side state.

Agreed.

Is it worth a confirm dialog on save when the state is changed? This way we would just keep Create and Save buttons and get rid of Publish.

Not sure right now. It’s another click barrier to “Just Write” publication and requires another language string for the message.

I’d be inclined to consider this later, possibly as part of the status-mods branch. Because there, we have the notion of status groups, divided into “published” and “unpublished” which gives more scope for doing this kind of thing.

EDIT: Maybe a warning string alongside/below the Status would suffice, if you switch from published to unpublished or vice versa?

Last edited by Bloke (2018-03-26 13:13:09)

Board footer