Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-02-23 14:36:42

Destry
Website

(oui_flat + jcr_export_txp_templates) or Txp 4.7dev?

I need to roll a Txp fatty.

Should I go with 4.6 and the plugins to get my flat juice, or go with 4.7dev and start doing it the “themes” way?

And for those sites already using the oui_flat, how well does that migrate up to 4.7?

#2 2018-02-23 15:17:48

Destry
Website

Re: (oui_flat + jcr_export_txp_templates) or Txp 4.7dev?

Hmm… Theme docs say the cxc_templates plugin is the way to go. I’m guessing that’s a little outdated and theme docs probably need to flow toward communicating how to do themes in 4.7?

If I could get my bearings on themes in 4.7, I could help plink on such a doc. Is there one started somewhere?

To clarify this thread a bit… I’ve made the assumption, perhaps wrongly, but based on the flag Bloke threw on the turf, that the concepts of flat-file and themes are merging into the same animal?

#3 2018-02-23 15:37:30

jakob
Admin
Website

I’ve not tried them together … yet, so I’m not sure if there are difficulties there.

I think you’re right: themes should make oui_flat/rah_flat obsolete, but I’m not sure if it’s quite there … yet.

BTW: devs + Nicolas: correct me if I’m wrong!

The new themes setup works well in my tests, but there are few differences:

• Changes you make to themes flat files are not brought in immediately, so you need to import them to the db first to see your changes. There was talk of a trigger that would do that for you on a running basis, but I don’t know what the status is with that. That would make developing very much faster.
  • Exporting themes to flat files works well from your existing pages, forms, etc. so no need for the export plugin anymore.
  • oui_flat / rah_flat plus the export plugins can do more in that they handle prefs and variables plus sections. I think/hope Nicolas might be working on extracting that functionality from oui_flat into a plugin or future txp update.
  • oui_flat / rah_flat have a slightly different file naming convention, but you just need to rename them to bring them from one to other.
  • Before running oui_flat / rah_flat on an existing site, make sure you’ve exported any existing templates you’ll need first. oui_flat / rah_flat essentially wipes and reloads the templates form your files with every page refresh, so you need to be sure you have anything you need safe and sound before you start.
  • There are still some small changes going on with themes in the dev branch at the moment, but it looks mostly now like snagging final problems.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2018-02-23 16:06:15

Destry
Website

Thanks, Jakob. Insightful as always.

I’ve gone ahead with installing 4.7dev locally. It’s a clean site, so that might be the way forward at this point. Try things out.

Fortunately I didn’t have a lot of real estate invested in oui_flat, only one other site, so that horizon will be easier to migrate to, I guess.

#5 2018-02-23 16:26:16

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’d say wait until early next week if you can when (hopefully) the 4.7-beta should be out – since changes (minor bug fixes, really) to the themes feature are happening (within the last few minutes, even).

Earlier today I moved my local installation of Textpattern.com from oui_flat to the 4.7 themes standard and it was fine in my limited testing so far.

We wanted to get basic but bulletproof theme support into 4.7 – but yes the plan is to expand this functionality in future updates. I for one would like to see:

1. Sections support
  2. Webhooks to upload theme changes from the filesystem without logging into the control panel
  3. Prefs support
  4. Article/image content support (i.e. upload dummy content into CMS with a theme, so users can see a theme in a working state)

All of those are feasible at some point in the future I think.

Board footer