Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-12-08 01:11:37

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Browser specific metadata

A question to those of you who are more familiar than me with the intimate details of Windows (10) / Android. Is that still a thing, or supported in the more recent OS / browser version?

Example

<!-- Windows - used for the tiles in the windows menu ? -->
<meta name="msapplication-TileColor" content="#f00">
<meta name="msapplication-TileImage" content="icon.png">
<meta name="application-name" content="example.com">
<!-- android - adjust UI colors? -->
<meta name="theme-color" content="#foo">

Or should I not bother including this anymore?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2017-12-08 10:32:42

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Browser specific metadata

Just taken a look at the current state of things. Windows 10 does still use the browserconfig.xml for styling tiles – not sure about direct meta tags though. Note that the Edge team are keen to deprecate that file in preference of using a proper JSON manifest though.

The Android meta name="theme-color" is still a thing, although popular consensus seems to be that it’s a shit idea anyway – why override the UI (which has been honed over years by a team of UI/UX dev) with a potentially inaccessible colour combination? I’ve just removed it from the Textpattern sites in leu of this.

#3 2017-12-08 12:44:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Browser specific metadata

Yeah, the Android meta name="theme-color" always felt like a bizarre “thing”. At the time when it was first being announced one Android dev assured me that there was sufficient logic in the system for decent contrast – maybe if you selected colour is dark or light enough. The clients logo colour is a medium blue-grey, which not exactly great in terms of colour contrast.

The Microsoft browserconfig.xml I have already ready to use pending approval. I’ll have a look at the @manifest.json. The documentation I had about the MS meta tags seems to vanished.

I think the meta tags will get the ax. Thanks for the feedback.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer