Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-10-15 19:49:41

netgeezer

Installation of Minimum theme

I’m getting stuck. It says:
“Getting up and running is a breeze. Minimum is guaranteed to work on Textpattern 4.5.4. All you need is grab a copy of cxc_templates, install it and copy the minimum theme folder content to your tpl directory.”

What is the “minimum theme folder content”? I copied and pasted that big chunk of shit into the box in Admin->plugins, then what am I supposed to do? I want it to look exactly like minimum.yauh.de

Last edited by netgeezer (2017-10-15 19:51:11)

#2 2017-10-15 22:51:29

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Installation of Minimum theme

Hi, That look like a very old post. V 4.5.4 is several versions ago, and I haven’t used cxc_templates in a long time.

I think Stephan, who authored the minimum theme, has moved onto other things. His yauh.de site looks like it’s running ghost now instead of Textpattern, so that’s not the minimum theme you’re seeing on his site. The minimum theme looks like this:

If you’re still interested, post back, and we can perhaps get it working on a more recent version of textpattern with a more recent templating plugin.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2017-10-16 11:35:22

netgeezer

yeah, that’s what I’m seeing.

aww fuck. is there some way to get the yauh.de look with textpattern?

#4 2017-10-16 12:43:07

jakob
Admin
Website

Sure, you can make Textpattern output pretty much any code you can think of, so you could rebuild/emulate the theme with Textpattern. I’ve no idea if that is an existing ghost theme or one that Stephan designed himself but I haven’t seen a ready-made theme like that for Textpattern.

You might want to simply ask Stephan if he can help you port it over from ghost to Textpattern, or if he’s fine with you doing that yourself.

#5 2017-10-16 13:50:01

netgeezer

uhh no – the whole reason I’m using one of these CMS things is that I DON’T have to code!

#6 2017-10-16 14:37:26

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

jakob wrote #307385:

I’ve no idea if that is an existing ghost theme or one that Stephan designed himself but I haven’t seen a ready-made theme like that for Textpattern.

I just skimmed the Ghost Theme Marketplace and don’t see anything that matches – at least in the free section.

#7 2017-10-17 06:09:45

netgeezer

Actually, this one:

https://sb.sb/ghost-theme-affinity/

kinda looks like what I had in mind. So – do I have to go and learn all about Ghost now? :(

#8 2017-10-17 08:00:41

jakob
Admin
Website

If you want to use ghost instead of textpattern, you can probably use that theme without much in the way of preparations as per their instructions, however, ghost has different hosting requirements to textpattern, and you’ll need a server with node.js rather than apache/php (see hosting requirements) if you want to install it yourself (check that with your host), or you’ll need to pay a monthly fee and have ghost host it for you. They offer a 14-day trial and their admin panels are nicely done.

If you want to port the theme for use with textpattern, you should first check you follow their usage licence (here) and it probably doesn’t harm to ask the theme authors if they’re okay with you porting it, and then you could set about converting the ghost theme template files (which use a templating language called handlebars) to textpattern pages and forms. You’ll find corresponding txp tags for many of the handlebar tags, but some you’ll need to adapt some to textpattern’s templating structure. From a first glance at the ghost theme, it doesn’t look too complex.

If this is too much, which it might be if you don’t want to do any coding, you could try posting a request in the seeking textpattern pros forum and maybe someone can help you for a modest sum.

#9 2017-10-17 08:04:25

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The Affinity Ghost theme is under MIT licence so there’s no reason why someone with Textpattern/HTML/CSS knowledge couldn’t port it to Textpattern fairly easily.

Once we have better themes directory support (coming soon) in Textpattern ready I’ll create/port a few themes to get people started. In the meantime you’ll either have to code it yourself, find a willing coder, or be patient.

Sorry, that is not a perfect answer but that’s the situation!

#10 2017-10-17 14:07:59

netgeezer

…OK, I think I’ve decided to go with Wix, after all that! Their in-browser website maker is AWESOME!! …and they take payments from my country, too! :)

#11 2017-10-17 15:07:15

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

netgeezer wrote #307422:

…and they take payments from my country, too! :)

Oh, they love money to this point?

#12 2017-10-17 17:52:04

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

wix does not work on older browsers. In fact even their website comes out blank in browsers from just 4 years ago.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer