Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-10-11 11:53:38

BryanA.

Returning after years - manual version update?

Had a kid. Put many things aside a long time. He’ll be three tomorrow! He walks, talks, eats, etc and NOW I feel I can finally return to the business of blogging and goofing around on a TXP website or two since the Little Nipper is starting to keep himself busy.

The trouble is many things have changed. PHP depreciations, GoDaddy back-end stuff and I don’t know what else.
“Database Unavailable.” (Check website link to see it.)
The MySQL stuff knows I’m knocking, but I can’t get in. I know I’m using PHP 5.2 but can’t remember what TXP version.
I’ve updated to the shifted GoDaddy server addresses with config.php changes. Easy.

Am I in really deep waters here? What support I’ve gotten indicates a TXP update, then, for hosting, a C Panel migration that supports higher PHP (5.4).

I don’t have thousands of things to lose, but hundreds of posts over several blogs (a couple even featured elsewhere).

What more can I tell you to help me decide if this is a possible task?

Last edited by BryanA. (2017-10-11 11:54:24)

Voice Actor – starting up a site for that good book stuff.

#2 2017-10-11 12:24:04

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Returning after years - manual version update?

Hi, and welcome back!

I feel that nothing’s impossible here, we just need to start chasing down variables. First things first, look at the page source of your site. Notice the comment near the bottom:

Unknown MySQL server host ‘…’

I’d start there. If you can get into your cpanel, you should be able to find out the database server hosts from there (or drop GoDaddy a line) and update your config.php accordingly.

While you’re in the cpanel area, take a backup of your database(s). ‘Cos you just never know.

After that, you can look into upgrading your cpanel to a later version of supported infrastructure. If you have the option to go for PHP 7+ and intend to upgrade to the latest Txp 4.6.2, I advise you to do it. Faster.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2017-10-25 11:18:59

Destry
Website

And if you really want to get back into it, a change from GoDaddy might be a good start. I’m pretty sure they shoot elephants, and stuff.

#4 2017-10-25 16:10:30

bici
Website Mastodon

second Destry’s comment re godaddy. Go somewhere more sane. Three that come to mind Rebel.com. Webfaction.com, dotster.com and there are others.

…. texted postive

#5 2018-08-01 14:46:12

BryanA.

Picking up this post nine months later…

He turned three and a week after post #1 beginning this thread, lost his mom. Now he and I live alone full-time. …and finally again I feel I can finally return to the business(?) of blogging podcasting and goofing around on a beautiful TXP website or two since the Little Nipper is starting to keep himself busy.

It seems there’s always something life-changing happening around here. I wanted to float this thread up to the surface again because it was helpful – for me, I’m still with GoDaddy. I know; raspberry sound. But I’ve updated PHP, CPanel, and Textpattern as recently as today for a new project.

When looking again at websites and frameworks and blogging software, I couldn’t help myself but to return to Textpattern and happily! Big thanks to the continued development. It was good to return. I can’t escape wanting to share and for me, Textpattern feels like there are no restrictions to do so.

In a paragraph related to the post title: GoDaddy has a nifty automated installer but it’s only up to Textpattern 4.6.1 or .2 or .4 I think and that install doesn’t recognize the newest PHP, so I had to downgrade. I manually updated to Textpattern 4.7.0 like a grown-up with File Zilla and can provide diagnostics on request if devs want to shove 4.7.1 at GoDaddy’s Installitron or whatever it’s called. (It does have a cool name.)

Last edited by BryanA. (2018-08-01 14:50:25)

Voice Actor – starting up a site for that good book stuff.

#6 2018-08-01 15:02:18

bici
Website Mastodon

Welcome back. All the Best! Hope for the Future…

…. texted postive

Board footer