Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-09-16 07:08:00

netgeezer

WYSIWYG writing

Hi,
I would like to write articles with bold, italic, and underlines in them – maybe on occasion I may need to insert a picture in the article. What should I do? Which plugin would be suitable and easy to install? I saw something called “TinyMCE”, will this do the trick?

Thanks.

#2 2017-09-16 08:11:59

jpdupont

Re: WYSIWYG writing

I have tested many free wysywig editors, but I have often been disappointed with their features and generated html code. (Plugins from Petri Ikonen)

The editor that I find the best, which has a rich api to configure the editor and link it intimately to Textpattern (insertion of images), and a reactive support is Froala.

Unfortunately it is not free, and costs between $99 for a single site and $799 for an OEM version.

I dream of a collective money making (crowfunding) that would allow all users to integrate it into Textpattern.

Because the customer very frequently wants to be able to edit his texts “as in his word processor”, or “as in his mail client”.

#3 2017-09-16 15:02:37

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Depending on your level of comfort with Textile, you could give rah_textile_bar a shot. It adds a configurable bar that allows you to add in bold, italic, headings, etc. But instead of seeing it rendered as actual bold, italic, etc., in the edit window, it inserts Textile codes which will (when the article is saved) render on the front end of your website as such.

I really like it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2017-09-16 15:11:15

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Bloke wrote #307039:

Depending on your level of comfort with Textile, you could give rah_textile_bar a shot. It adds a configurable bar that allows you to add in bold, italic, headings, etc. But instead of seeing it rendered as actual bold, italic, etc., in the edit window, it inserts Textile codes which will (when the article is saved) render on the front end of your website as such.

I really like it.

+1. Although it is not a WYSIWYG editor, textile is the way to go. Furthermore, it is very easy to learn.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2017-09-16 15:43:12

jpdupont

FROALA

I use in test the free version of Froala (test version with badge, identical to the paid version). I modified a Petri plugin (kuo) to insert and configure Froala in the edit page. I configured so that Froala inserts a photo in the text according to a collection on 3 criteria (image of article, images of a category, all the images organized in categories). I configured the insert of an image so that the html / css data encloses and completes the image to generate a lightbox effect. I configured the plugin soo_page_break to allow a multipage article by separating the pages by <hr />. When the test by the customer is finished I will buy a version without badge.

TEXTILE

I use Textpattern since 2004. I realized with many site where the edit mode was Textile.

In this regard, I also modified a Kuo plugin to integrate CodeMirror and benefit from Textile syntax highlighting. However, I can not get rah_textile to work with this CodeMiror plugin, I do not have the skill for that…

Currently, even if many Texpattern developpers and Textpattern experts continue to favor Textile, as I have done for more than 10 years, I think that in the 21st century already well underway, it is time to listen to the customer, the end users of our site! And to propose to him a modern mode of editing, and which respects the code to insert in the articles. Tools of this type exist and should be taken into consideration by the thinking heads of our superb Textpattern :-)))

#6 2017-09-16 19:09:50

raminrahimi

I recommend hak_tinymce that’s very nice.
it has lots of options (bold, italic, heading, inset image, insert link, insert table, etc…)

use this on the option of hak_tinymce => Initialization for article body editor:

theme : "advanced",
language : "en",
relative_urls : false,
remove_script_host : false,
plugins : "table,searchreplace,txpimage",
theme_advanced_buttons1 : "bold,italic,underline,strikethrough,forecolor,backcolor,removeformat,numlist,bullist,outdent,indent,justifyleft,justifycenter,justifyright,justifyfull",
theme_advanced_buttons2 : "tablecontrols,link,unlink,separator,image,separator,search,replace,separator,cut,copy,paste,separator,code,separator,formatselect",
theme_advanced_buttons3 : "",
theme_advanced_toolbar_location : "top",
theme_advanced_toolbar_align : "left",entity_encoding : "raw",
height:420,

#7 2017-09-18 14:38:04

netgeezer

Bloke wrote #307039:

I really like it.

Aaah – this is specifically out of the question. I very DEFINITELY want to SEE the bold, italics etc. when writing!!

#8 2017-09-19 08:25:00

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

jpdupont wrote #307041:

Currently, even if many Texpattern developpers and Textpattern experts continue to favor Textile, as I have done for more than 10 years, I think that in the 21st century already well underway, it is time to listen to the customer, the end users of our site! And to propose to him a modern mode of editing, and which respects the code to insert in the articles. Tools of this type exist and should be taken into consideration by the thinking heads of our superb Textpattern :-)))

I would tend to be agree. However, the thing is that Textpattern developers do not work for customers, they do it for the community, and for free, which is pretty different. Without any commercial perspective, I can’t see a way to develop all features customers would like in 2017. If a commercial company can’t develop this kind of feature from existing tools for its customers, I’m afraid that asking to few core developers to do more work and support third party embedded tools is a bit irrealistic.

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2017-09-19 17:44:05)

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#9 2017-09-19 09:20:02

jpdupont

NicolasGraph wrote #307084:

… the thing is that Textpattern developers do not work for customers …

I know full well that the developers of Textpattern are totally volunteer. I would like to express my full gratitude for this work for the benefit of the community.

I do not see where I would request extra work for my benefit from the developer team.
I’m not asking for anything ! I myself have made the necessary to integrate FROALA as a plugin, and I have configured it according to my needs.

My only thought is this: The community uses TXP … for end users, our customers. Textpattern would gain visibility and celebrity if it offered in addition to textile and markdown a good wysiwyg editor. Unless this tool is intended only for a small group of fundamentalist enthusiasts ;-)

#10 2017-09-19 09:48:55

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

jpdupont wrote #307090:

I do not see where I would request extra work for my benefit from the developer team.

No worry, I didn’t mean that you did it; I’m not even part of the core team…

I myself have made the necessary to integrate FROALA as a plugin, and I have configured it according to my needs.

Then, it would be great if you could share a work base others could use for their needs.

My only thought is this: The community uses TXP … for end users, our customers.

I’m not sure the community is mainly composed of Txp site salers, but I may be totally wrong.

Textpattern would gain visibility and celebrity if it offered in addition to textile and markdown a good wysiwyg editor. Unless this tool is intended only for a small group of fundamentalist enthusiasts ;-)

I think that it is realistic to say that it’s what it is for now.

Who cares about the Textpattern visibility, I tweet my plugins releases and I would say that I feel really alone on this network. Phil asked people to star the github repo and share about Txp but the result is far to be awesome…

I really agree that some user friendly features could help, and that is one of the reason I’m helping with the themes branch, but I think that Txp would need to be supported by commercial initiatives to gain a potential ‘celebrity’.

Edit: when you are already famous, it is easy, third parties create plugins for you…

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2017-09-20 06:12:22)

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#11 2017-09-19 13:46:18

jpdupont

I think I must become more realistic, keep quiet and invest less emotionally in this tool … Too bad …

#12 2017-09-22 10:04:20

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

NicolasGraph wrote #307092:

I think that Txp would need to be supported by commercial initiatives to gain a potential ‘celebrity’.

We would need to hire a talented profit-oriented volunteer who accepts to work for free… pas gagné.

jpdupont wrote #307093:

I think I must become more realistic, keep quiet and invest less emotionally in this tool … Too bad …

Personally, I am not interested in WYSIWYG editors (and have no clients), but if there is a strong claim for it, nothing is impossible.

Board footer