Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-07-26 00:00:26

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Good News from Adobe

RIH Flash. Rejoice.

The one piece of good news for the day: Flash will be discontinued by 2020 (why, oh why wait so long?).

I haven’t had that plugin on any of our machines for the past 7 years.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2017-07-26 00:33:06

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Good News from Adobe

phiw13 wrote #306447:

RIH Flash. Rejoice.

The one piece of good news for the day: Flash will be discontinued by 2020 (why, oh why wait so long?).

me neither! i hate FLASH. kill it NOW!

…. texted postive

#3 2017-07-26 01:47:26

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #306447:

When I am using computers at work, I go in and manually disable it on the browser profile.

#4 2017-07-26 05:36:25

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I used to love flash back in the 90s as it was allowing the creation of cross platform CDROM applications.

When I first started to look at our sites more seriously, flash was the tool of choice. I was connecting its interface with xml documents and it provided me with an easy way to have a “dynamic site”. In 1999 blogger came to the scene and provided an easy way to have dynamic content but I was still using flash.

By the end of 2004 I had my first site in txp up and running.

Flash was not just for the web. It was also used by a series of wonderful artists who are now seen as pioneers of internet and CDROM art. We have to remember that it is the increasing power of Google which lost flash its followers as it was not providing its content to the SEO specs required by the search engine. Artists nevertheless still use flash in very creative ways.

As new technologies take control other technologies fade out. If we see the web as a platform which enables us to retrieve and consume information, I agree that flash is no longer relevant, but, if we see the web as an open platform which is not there to not only satisfy our intellectual and commercial needs, the way I see it, is that artists will be losing one of their most powerful tools.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2017-07-26 06:41:15

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I did a lot of Flash work back in the day (even when it was known as Futuresplash pre Adobe buyout) – it was a great animation tool and a horrible web design tool. I’ve actually used what it evolved into (Adobe Animate) to create some HTML5 <canvas> animation on the upcoming Textpattern site. That side of Flash will live on.

#6 2017-07-26 08:23:05

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Sure, the developers tool (Adobe Animate) is probably excellent – but that is their strength, creating tools for developers. And that part of the “flash” branding had already long lost its direct association with “Flash”, as it was reoriented towards gamed dev, and animation dev (since 2010~2012. But they should have been much more proactive with killing the plugin, not waiting for Jobs, and then Facebook to talk it down.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer