Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-07-24 02:05:11

6sigma
Website

ELI5: web design in 2017?

Every few years I post something similar to this here: “What are today’s best resources for learning proper web design to insure a web site/weblog is responsive, accessible, semantic, usable, mobile-first & all the other terms I hear about?”

More specifically, what are my best resources for learning how to bring my old Textpattern weblog up to Txp 4.6.2 and making sure the xhtml/html/css/txp tags/txp plugins (& whatever else) work on phones, tablets, computer screens, etc. with all the other buzzwords covered?

Oh yeah, explain-like-I’m-five(ELI5) & hello to all the old names I see here from years back! Many thanks.

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#2 2017-07-24 16:36:05

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: ELI5: web design in 2017?

Here is something new in the CSS world

Yay for the fr unit!

…. texted postive

#3 2017-07-25 13:18:38

6sigma
Website

bici wrote #306421:

Here is something new in the CSS world

Yay for the fr unit!

Thank you for the site and the article.

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#4 2017-07-25 13:54:06

maniqui
Website

Sorry for not being too specific on my answer: my suggestion for you is: create a local copy of your Txp website and try to upgrade it to latest Txp release (assuming that’s your top priority). Now, with the peace of mind only a local copy could bring, investigate which is the next step you’d like to take to bring your website to what is currently expected of a modern website.
You could start by googling:
www.google.com.ar/search?q=front+end+web+development+on+2017

For getting a responsive (a.k.a. mobile-first, mobile-friendly), I’d suggest you to learn about (and experiment with) CSS media queries. Investigating the ins and outs of an HTML/CSS framework like Bootstrap could help you get some insights on the topic.

Finally, remember that… this is a m*therf*cking website.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2017-07-25 16:53:44

6sigma
Website

maniqui wrote #306438:

Sorry for not being too specific on my answer: my suggestion for you is: create a local copy of your Txp website and try to upgrade it to latest Txp release (assuming that’s your top priority). Now, with the peace of mind only a local copy could bring, investigate which is the next step you’d like to take to bring your website to what is currently expected of a modern website.
You could start by googling:
www.google.com.ar/search?q=front+end+web+development+on+2017

For getting a responsive (a.k.a. mobile-first, mobile-friendly), I’d suggest you to learn about (and experiment with) CSS media queries. Investigating the ins and outs of an HTML/CSS framework like Bootstrap could help you get some insights on the topic.

Finally, remember that… this is a m*therf*cking website.

Duly noted. Thanks for the suggestions. These get me on the right track for rethinking some very old work! I appreciate the help.

Board footer