Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-06-02 11:37:22

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Txp puts food on our tables: please don't let it go to waste

Although I don’t normally do this kind of thing, I’m reaching out to you as the wonderful community you are to highlight the story of Adam Smith and his battle with Trading Standards over trying to feed the hungry and reduce food waste going to landfill.

I’ve written a short (for me) blog post about Adam and his Real Junk Food Project that I encourage you to read/skim. There are links in there to his projects, inspiring ten-minute TEDx talk, and his petition to try and change the broken system we see every day on every supermarket shelf: the sell-by date.

I appreciate it’s an issue close to me because he’s a local guy and his first sharehouse is a couple of streets away from where I live, but it’s more about the bigger picture of our attitude towards food. Please do whatever you can to support Adam’s efforts, even if it’s just by not throwing something away based on its date alone.

Thank you.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2017-06-02 13:21:21

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Txp puts food on our tables: please don't let it go to waste

Hi stef, I hope that the idea will catch on. In Cyprus there are a number of spaces similar to this since the self defeating bail-in in 2013, one is actually round the corner from my house too.

Thumbs up for Adam!

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2017-06-06 22:59:14

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thanks, Yiannis.

Adam made the national headlines today, though it’s typical BBC surface-journalism. No depth or info on what exactly was “found”, just repeating the good old-fashioned sensationlist shock numbers amid soundbites from “experts”. Go news, go!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#4 2017-06-06 23:10:26

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

The law is European law implemented by domestic legislation and is not something that can be sidestepped.

I wonder if #Brexit will help? Or is it too soon to ask?

#5 2017-06-07 00:15:37

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

michaelkpate wrote #305850:

I wonder if #Brexit will help? Or is it too soon to ask?

Hehe, if I thought the result would make any difference, I’d say ‘ask me on Friday after the election’. But since nobody wants to do the work required to forge new deals with Europe, I’m hoping it’ll come down to people-powered campaigns from the likes of the “leftie” 38 Degrees to help us commoners make our voices heard above all the political self-interest spouted from whichever useless jerks inhabit Downing Street next week.

Whatever happens, I’ll always champion people like Adam trying to make the planet better in the face of unthinking bureaucracy.

Board footer