Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2016-09-14 23:37:59

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: We Love TXP

We Love TXP submissions are working again, all fixed, thanks Stef.

#22 2020-11-15 01:48:59

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Back to looking at WeLoveTXP submissions, same old, same old.

Out of let’s say 20 emails, 15 are Wordpress sites that doing a view source makes me gag.

So I reply to them, depending on how I feel that day, you know go foff.

Now my question is this, on new installs, doesn’t the installation contact some Textpattern related site, like translations and such. Wouldn’t that be a better way to keep track of new sites rather than me having to deal with errant submissions.

#23 2020-11-15 07:40:26

Dragondz
Website

Hi,

SHould be there a search functionality on the website ?

I dont remember if i had submitted some of my websites then i cant check them right now!

(Remove this one http://welovetxp.com/2009/12/13/aidesign it s no longer available)

Cheers.

#24 2020-11-15 08:48:46

Bloke
Developer
Website

hcgtv wrote #326765:

on new installs, doesn’t the installation contact some Textpattern related site, like translations and such.

From what I recall, it doesn’t phone home any more. The only contact we have with our servers is an update check when you visit the Diagnostics panel. The next version will have update checks on the plugins panel but, again, that’s only on that panel, not on installation.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#25 2020-11-15 11:15:10

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Dragondz wrote #326766:

Hi,
SHould be there a search functionality on the website ?
I dont remember if i had submitted some of my websites then i cant check them right now!
(Remove this one http://welovetxp.com/2009/12/13/aidesign it s no longer available)
Cheers.

Hi, no search for now, but it could be added. As for your site, when I took over WeLoveTXP, most of the links were either dead or the domain was running another blog or cms. We decided to keep them around for nostalgic reasons, check out the latest pages.

#26 2020-11-15 11:18:47

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #326770:

From what I recall, it doesn’t phone home any more. The only contact we have with our servers is an update check when you visit the Diagnostics panel. The next version will have update checks on the plugins panel but, again, that’s only on that panel, not on installation.

Ok, was worth a shot, back to view source.

By the way, do you have a good handle on the number of TXP installations in the wild?

#27 2020-11-15 11:23:23

Bloke
Developer
Website

hcgtv wrote #326773:

do you have a good handle on the number of TXP installations in the wild?

I don’t, sadly. We can gauge it from download counts, but that’s not accurate. Someone did search for Donald Swain’s “I like your site very much” to see how many have been installed and not altered much. That was interesting!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#28 2020-11-15 11:30:54

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #326774:

I don’t, sadly. We can gauge it from download counts, but that’s not accurate. Someone did search for Donald Swain’s “I like your site very much” to see how many have been installed and not altered much. That was interesting!

Then I would do an update check of TXP whenever someone enters the admin side for the first time in a session, many projects do this. Heck you can build a map showing TXP in the wild, we did this early on, don’t remember who set it up, but it showed TXP users in the wild.

#29 2020-11-18 15:03:08

WebmistressM

Thanks for the updates to We Love TXP. Unfortunately, the false submissions (someone submitting a fake site or submitting a site that is not built in TXP) are not always easy to eliminate before they press “Submit”.

hcgtv wrote #326777:

Then I would do an update check of TXP whenever someone enters the admin side for the first time in a session, many projects do this. Heck you can build a map showing TXP in the wild, we did this early on, don’t remember who set it up, but it showed TXP users in the wild.

I admit, having a map like this would be cool to see. Im curious what the old incarnation looked like.

#30 2020-11-18 15:07:32

gaekwad
Admin

I have clients that I actively obfuscate their choice of CMS, Textpattern included. Reducing the attack surface of any website is part of responsible admin-ing.

Just because we’re happy with evangelising doesn’t mean a non-enthusiast wants to do the same. And the phoning home for a geolocation is a privacy nightmare & legal issue waiting to happen. Hard no from me.

Board footer